Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 8:52:11 AM EDT
I have a BM that is essentially new. I have been having problems getting the retaining pin back into the carrier once cleaning is completed. The pin looks a little chewed up and is slightly bent. It takes me about 15 minutes of attempting to get the damn thing inserted before it finally slides home. I am not using any tools and only relying upon my finger strength to insert the pin. What is interesting is that if I insert the pin from the other side of the carrier, the pin seats right in with no difficulties. What gives? I have gone through the owner's manual and there are no hints on how to do this operation other than simply "insert the pin as pictured....". This should not be this difficult!

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the same problem and my pin was really worn and bent.  So I ordered 10 more of them from Bushmaster.  You just have to find where it likes to go in.  I will replace my pin probably every 10 times I take apart the carrier assembly
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#2]
It sure is a pain in the ass. How much were the extra pins from BM?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#3]
FP retaining pins should be a buck or so at BM or RRA.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Or you can just order a solid firing pin retainer from KNS for $7.50 and never have to change it again. globaltactical.com/axami/shop.php?grd=117
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
When using a nice and straight, and unbuggered retaining pin, try rotating the thing as it goes in.

As the thing is used, and worn in a bit, it will get easier as the phosphor finish wears.

Appling more pressure when it hangs up, will just bend and bugger the thing.

Folks should have a couple of spares on hand anyhow, on account of the little darlings liking to play games and hide now and then when allowed to run free while away from the BCG.

Welcome to the Black Rifle Cult!!!!
(Original singers of "Don't fear the Reaper")

Just a few small quirks with the thing here and there, that you will adjust to in no time with some exposure and framilliarity.

Best of luck!
S-28

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:31:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Or you can just order a solid firing pin retainer from KNS for $7.50 and never have to change it again. globaltactical.com/axami/shop.php?grd=117

Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]
When installing the firing pin retaining pin,I rotate it when I meet resistance until it drops in place.Once it has started into the holes I rotate it so that the pin head head points at 12 o'clock and six o'clock.That way when the pin takes a hit from the firing pin its not applying force against the spring action of the firing pin retaining pin.This helps prevent the pin from walking from impact if this could happen.Just something I do.
I do not like the solid pins.The fingers tend to get weak and walk.I'd rather just have a few spare firing pin retaining pins.In fact Brownell's has a bag of them for a couple bucks.
I have only replaced one firing pin retaining pin in the last five years.And that was because my rifle had a rough machine edge on the hammer that was hanging the firing pin collar and driving it back into the firing pin retaining pin.Bent the firing pin retaining pin in less than 800 rounds.In fact the hammer had actually chewed the firing pin collar so that it was rounded and rough.Dressed the hammer and that stopped.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#8]
on some you can actually look down the rear and see where the pin is going and guide it in correctly.
there is nothing wrong with the pins its user error in one of my bushmaster's it still has the pin that came with it from the factory and it has around 7-8k through it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
on some you can actually look down the rear and see where the pin is going and guide it in correctly.
there is nothing wrong with the pins its user error in one of my bushmaster's it still has the pin that came with it from the factory and it has around 7-8k through it.

I have no doubt that my problem is indeed user error.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I just called Bushmaster and they are sending me a few replacement pins for free. Outstanding customer service
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:51:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I just called Bushmaster and they are sending me a few replacement pins for free. Outstanding customer service

i might have to try that
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1

I had/have the same problem with my new Bolt and carrier from DPMS.  

You just have to push the back of the firing pin upwards while pushing the retaining pin in and it helps guide the retaining pin into the last hole.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top