Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/6/2005 2:47:25 PM EDT
After taking the advice of every one on this board I coughed up the bucks for a dewey cleaning rod, .22 cal and an extra .22  jag. HTF do you guys get the darn thing through the barrel with a patch on it. Seems way to tight to force. I have .22 cal specific patches, several brands but don't feel comfortable useing the force necessary to push them through. What gives.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Your patches are probably too big. My Dewey rod and .22 patches go through very easily.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#2]
IT is supposed to be tight and that is one reason you want a solid rid like a Dewy to take the pressure. Mine are extreemly tight and some time I have to hammer it through by hitting it with my palm. Keep working on it and you will get the feel for it. Do try to cut down your patches a littl but if they ar .22 patches you should not have to.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Note that it is fairly easy to get an overly tight patch stuck in an AR chamber (been there, done that!).

First, be sure and put some solvent or CLP on the patch to get the bore wet.  It can be really hard to get a dry patch through a dry, dirty bore.

Still, patches can vary a bit in thickness.  If you need to, snip a small slice off the patch with a pair of scissors.

Personally, I don’t like a super tight patch since it can cause the cleaning rod to flex and rub against the bore (and you didn’t mention getting a rod guide!).
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Use 3/4" square patches OR "pierce" a slightly larger.22 patch off-center, closer to one of the corners.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, I'll try your suggestions after I get a bore guide.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#6]
You could try pulling the patches instead of pushing them
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Step 1: Go to wal-mart
Step 2: Get out of car
Step 3: walk across parking lot twords the store
Step 4: go into the door
Step 5: walk to the the sporting goods section
Step 6: look for a .17 cal 1 peace ruber coated cleaning rod
Step 7: walk over to the desk in the sporting good section
Step 8: ring the little stainless steal bell
Step 9: when the guy come over pay 4-8 dollars for the rod
Step 10: leave the store walk across parking lot get in car and drive home take the peace of craborad off the rod handle put patch down the barrel and clean.

For best results rinse and repeat.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:28:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Step 10: leave the store walk across parking lot get in car and drive home take the peace of craborad off the rod handle put patch down the barrel and clean.

wow, that was a lot of typing to give a simple jack-ass response.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#9]
It is hard though sometimes to clean out the bore.  You literally have to find the smallest patches available and lubricate the bore first.  What he said above, pulling through instead of pushing will probably work better.  

-mark
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow, that was a lot of typing to give a simple jack-ass response.

Look i put alot of thought into being a asshole this kind of thing doesn't come over night it takes years of exp and alot of typeing to be the perfect asshole and i take pride in my part in society.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You could try pulling the patches instead of pushing them

You cannot "pull" patches with a Dewy style jag. One can pull patches with the Otis lit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#12]
lol, liked it 13TH Warrior, and yes the .17 rod works well for me.  The patches that came with that .17 kit also work well.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
lol, liked it 13TH Warrior, and yes the .17 rod works well for me.  The patches that came with that .17 kit also work well.

mine didn't come with patchs
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I had the problem with exact same setup (assuming you are using Parker-Hale style jag). Here is what I was doing wrong:

Wrong way: Taking patch and draping all the way around the end of jag (i.e. acting as though I was stabbing the patch with the jag - the tip was covered with the patch)....This resulted in stuck jag and lot's of cussing due to new Dewey rod being bent.

Right way: Take patch and roll it around sides of jag, not the very front. In other words, roll it like you are rolling up a cigarette.  Don't stab the patch.

This will result in a firm but not overly tight patch. One other thing, all the brass will not be covered with the patch. That's OK as the exposed brass will never touch the barrel due to patch being wrapped around the other portion of the jag.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top