Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 2:28:28 PM EDT
After cleaning the chamber with the chamber brush, I've been using qTips and patches to get the gunk our. But this doesn't seem too efficient or affective.  

I saw a tip on the Maryland site advocating hemostats with qtip heads.  That looks like it might do a good job.

What have you found to be the best method?  Are there dedicated tools?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  Grant sells chamber stars that you jab through your jag and spin in the locking lug recess.  Another alternative is Sinclairs lug cleaning tool, a dedicated tool that takes a double ended swab that Sinclair also sells.  Chamber stars have lots of surface area, probably 5-6 little nubs that catch everything, Sinclairs have just two at opposing ends.  

I use Sinclair's tool.  I purchased it before the chamber stars became available so I don't know how they compare head-to-head.  What I do know is that Sinclair's tool works well enough, much better than what I could do with Q-tips and needle nosed pliers.  

Chamber stars don't need a dedicated tool but are more expensive than the Sinclair swabs, so you either invest in another tool, plus some cheap swabs, or just go with star-shaped swabs which cost a bit more.  

Either beats Q-tips and hemostats hands down.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:17:24 AM EDT
[#2]
i use the chamber stars that grant sells and have never seen a cleaner chamber area!

grant can be found in the equipment exchange or in the industry forum under gandrtactical.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:25:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Chamber Stars are the greatest thing since sliced bread!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#4]
A shot of brake cleaner flushes out my chamber just fine.........and my M4gery’s as well!

If you clean smart you should get by just fine with q-tips. Clean your chamber with the chamber brush first. Then flush out the crud down the barrel with brake cleaner. Clean your barrel as you normally would. Any solvent left in the chamber by the lugs can be swabbed up with a q-tip. My last step in cleaning the barrel is to run a patch with CLP down the bore, any CLP left over in the chamber by the lugs gets swabbed up with a q-tip.

I have used this technique for the longest time and never had a problem. And I even go as far as inspecting the chamber with a flashlight and dental mirror!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:19:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A shot of brake cleaner flushes out my chamber just fine.........and my M4gery’s as well!

If you clean smart you should get by just fine with q-tips. Clean your chamber with the chamber brush first. Then flush out the crud down the barrel with brake cleaner. Clean your barrel as you normally would. Any solvent left in the chamber by the lugs can be swabbed up with a q-tip. My last step in cleaning the barrel is to run a patch with CLP down the bore, any CLP left over in the chamber by the lugs gets swabbed up with a q-tip.

I have used this technique for the longest time and never had a problem. And I even go as far as inspecting the chamber with a flashlight and dental mirror!

+1 brake cleaner works great too
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:43:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i use the chamber stars that grant sells and have never seen a cleaner chamber area!

grant can be found in the equipment exchange or in the industry forum under gandrtactical.

I have searched, but can not find a link to Grants for these Chamber Stars. Can someone help me here? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:57:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Here ya go....

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=257660

Thanks, I needed that!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Cut the head off of a few q-tips and slide the on a curved dental pick.  Best cleaner yet for that area.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:34:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Cut the head off of a few q-tips and slide the on a curved dental pick.  Best cleaner yet for that area.

Not a bad idea! I usually bend mine a little at the tip when needed.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:42:47 AM EDT
[#11]
interesting as the lug area on the AR/M16 is the WORST place to clean on a rifle/mg I have yet to clean.  I dread cleaning this area.. but with this 'new' cleaning ideas, maybe it won't be so bad afterall.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:23:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I think the key here is that you don't need to get every bit of dirt out of this area every time you clean.My goal is to not let it build up or get real crusty.When I am striveing for extra clean I use the sinclare tool.I think the special wads that come with it might be the same little chunks your dentist shoves between cheek and gum to get room to work.Next time I go for a checkup I will bring a sinclair wad and see if my dentist can fiix me up with a bulk bag .  I am a cheep old bastard.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:39:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all the info.  I've ordered some stars and will report on how they work for me.

A friendly dentist can be a shooter's great supply source.  When you visit ask for any broken or worn out dental tools. They also often get whole bags of "sample" gloves they usually throw away. Now I can add those little cotton rolls to the list!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top