Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 9:38:38 PM EDT
should i get a nylon or a bronze bore brush for my chrome lined barrel? or does it matter. thanks
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
should i get a nylon or a bronze bore brush for my chrome lined barrel? or does it matter. thanks

Doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:36:49 PM EDT
[#2]
doesn't matter but a bronze brush will clean much better.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:19:12 AM EDT
[#3]
i tend to stick to bronze
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#4]
You know the other day I bought for the first time a nylon brush.  I had just recently purchased a GI bronze brush and had noticed after about 6 or 7 cleaning sessions that it wasn’t as tight as when new, hence the idea to try out nylon.

I believe the nylon did a better job, and it seemed to require less effort to clean my barrel.

This is what I bought:

secure.armorholdings.com/kleen-bore/product354.html

The barrel was a new DPMS chrome-moly barrel, and from my experience, chrome-moly was always a bit harder to get really clean compared to chrome lined. With C-moly I always seemed to pull out patches with a tiny bit of carbon on them. Not this time.

Along with the brush listed above I purchased this cleaning rod:

secure.armorholdings.com/kleen-bore/product385.html

This cleaning session had to be the easiest yet. Using Hoppes #9 on a mop I swabbed the barrel, waited a few minutes, then ran the Hoppes soaked nylon brush through the bore about 8-10 times.

After running a few Hoppes soaked patches through, it took about 5-6 dry patches before they came out clean. I might be behind the curve when it comes to the latest cleaning rods and bore cleaners. Up till now I used a combination of aluminum sectional and GI cleaning rods. But I have to say using the new nylon brush and one piece rod sure seemed to make this cleaning session a more pleasurable experience!

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:39:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I have never found a nylon brush that will get in the small areas where the rifle lands and channels meet.  The nylon bristles are too thick to do a detailed enough job.

I tried this experiment one time and you may want to try it yourself:

1)  Clean with a nylon brush and patches until no more fouling can be removed
2)  Run a bronze brush for 5 passes with the same cleaning solvent and run a patch.

I didn't even have to run a patch to know the results.  The solvent was VERY dirty.

I use a bronze brush for non-ammonia solvents and I use a nylon brush for ammonia-based solvents such as sweets.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:13:25 AM EDT
[#6]
bore brushes are just like toothbrushes, after a while the wear out and must be replaced. Esp if you use a copper cleaner with them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Nylon brushes are ment to be used with copper solvent as the copper solvent will eat away the bronz brushes.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#8]
how about a "tornado"brush?is it for smooth bores or is it a new idea?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Aren't the Tornado brushes stainless steel?  If so, then it DOESN'T belong in the bore of any of my rifles!!!   I use bronze brushes almost exclusively, except for using a 9mm nylon brush occasionally with copper solvent for my FAL..
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I dont know but I was wondering for sure if it is ok to use it.it feels smooth and is looped unlike a brush so I thought if anything it wont clean as good
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
mrrick

I use a tornado brush all the time... in my SHOTGUNS...

there great for removing plastic produced from the wad, last time i checked .223 ammo doesnt come standard with a wad... so i dont see the use for them in rifles
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Bronze.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top