Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/29/2005 11:25:58 AM EDT
I'm starting to get some serious carbon build-up in my bolt carrier.  (You know the spot.  Right where the back of the bolt fits against the carrier.  The spot all military armorers love to harass you about.)  What do you folks use to break up the carbon?  We used to use a dental pick in the Army, but I don't like scratching up the lining of the carrier if there's a better way.  I've only used CLP to date.  Any recommendations appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing.

Carriers are machined with extra space back there.  If it builds up too much, it breaks off

PER Armalite.

I sold my bolt scraper tens of thousands of rounds ago - and gave up scraping carbon.   Guns run 100% still.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
First thing I do when I start cleaning is disassemble my bolt and carrier. I use a 50/50 mix of turpentine and Hoppes #9 and soak the bolt and carrier while I clean the upper and lower. This mixture seems to break up the carbon pretty good. To scrape away large deposits after they’ve  softened up I use an old piece of aluminum cleaning rod that I flattened out and filed to the contour of the bolt carrier. A few twists and I’m done, followed by a q-tip.

For the bolt I use the mouth of a 5.56mm case. The 50/50 Hoppes mixture can be reused, I pour mine into an old salsa jar. Over time the large particles settle to the bottom of the jar, leaving fresh cleaner for the next cleaning session.

I’m still “AA”, “Armsroom Anal”!

Tip on the Hoppes #9: Buy the large 16oz bottle for about $7 to $8, beats $4+ for the small 4oz bottle!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Soak the part in Carb Cutter 2000.  Works miracles.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#4]
www.slip2000.com

No better cleaner exists!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:06:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I have only used the green carbon cutter. It looks like the piston/choke cleaner might be stronger and worth buying over the carbon cutter.

Buy 1 gallon or more and soak your parts in tupperware. Then pour back the solution and re-use. You can choose to filter out solids at a later time.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:22:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting - all the cleaning methods for something that is UNNECESSARY
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Necessary or not.

"I will keep it clean, even as I keep myself clean".

Filth in the rifle is accepted by some, and not amoung others.

The Brownells and Sinclair tool works safely.

If you fuss over such matters, and let others worry over the psychology of the matter, I would suggest investing.

It dosn't hurt anything, and removes yet another worry.

Trust in the Rifle and respect for it , as it relates to ones being, is a uniquely American thing.

Funny how we are the last Super Power remaining these days.

It ain't the rifle, and it ain't the human operating it.

It's both combined.

S-28

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top