Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 8:38:25 AM EDT
I am a very experienced shooter but I know very litttle about AR rifles. My newly ordered BM 20" A3 will be here next week and I need a list of the supplies that I need to properly maintain and care for my rifle. I believe that I do need:

1. CLP
2. Bore guide
3. tooth brush
4. ?????

Do I need pipe cleaners, carbon scrapers, etc........???
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#1]
you can make a scraper out of a piece of coat hanger
just cut and hammer it so it looks like a little golf club
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Spend the $20-25 on a good rod like the coated Dewey.  You need a good brass jag, a couple good .22 rifle brushes, patches (about an inch in size), some chamber stars from G&R Tactical work well (he has a thread below), Q-Tips, chamber brush, and some type of cloth or towels.  I get car polishing cloths from the local autostore, they cost about $8 for 10 of them about  12" by 16" in size.  The cloth lasts me thru cleaning 1 AR and 1 pistol before it gets too dirty.  A Borenskae will help cut down on cleaning time, especially if you use the Boresnake at the range right after you are done shooting and all the crap is still warm.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I already have a 22 cal Dewey cleaning rod and the appropriate jags and brushes. I was just wondering if there are any special tools for cleaning an AR that I would need. I was just assuming that CLP is the stuff to buy. Is this still true?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#4]
you dont need carbon scrapers.

If you want to clean the carbon off. I use a bronze brush. Other use Slip 2000 or simular product, others never worrier about it.

forget pipe cleaners.  Q-tips work well for oiling and picking out crud.

Chamber stars if you want a super clean bolt lock-up area.

Chamber brush is a must have.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top