Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2005 6:52:19 AM EDT
My Bushmaster XM15-E2S is cutting grooves into the jacket of the bullets.
I contacted Bushmaster and they suggested that there may be sharp edges on the feed ramps.
They also said that I could either send it in or polish them myself and it would not void my warrenty.
They do feel sharp.
I don't have a point for my Dremmel tool that can reach the ramps through my lower receiver.
Does anyone make such a tool or am I going to have to take the barrell off of the upper receiver?

Link Posted: 2/8/2005 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have a Dremel with the extension tip you can use these to polish the ramps without removing the barrel from the upper.  I polished my Bushy Superlight and now it runs like a top.

ETA: G35 is right.  You should polish the inside corners of the locking lugs, not the ramps.  But just polish enough to round them off - not to reduce the size of the lug by any significant amount.
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your reply. I don't have an extension but I'll look for one.
If I can't find one I'll take the barrel off.
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey man, I've got something you can polish.......
Just kidding there dude!
I will help you in any way I can.
Later .......h.gif
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 3:03:16 AM EDT
[#4]
That's funny. wrong, but funny.
Link Posted: 2/10/2005 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Folks, I think we are off track here.

" cutting grooves into the jacket of the bullets"

1) This is normal.  All AR's do this.  There is no reason to polish anything.

2)  If you were to polish it away, it is not the ramps that causes the scrathes.  It is the outer corner of the lugs in the extension that scrathes the bullet.

3)  The scratches might not occur during feeding.  The scratches might be occurring when you extract the round unfired.
Link Posted: 2/11/2005 6:32:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I polished the ramps lightly. I did have a feed problem with the right side of my  magazine the right feed ramp felt sharp.
The magazine is new and came with the rifle. It feeds fantastic now. The Scratches are still there.

Has every AR you have owned do that or just some?
Is there a way to tell if it is happening during feeding or extraction?
I don't remember having this problem with my M-16A2 or A1, but it was a long time ago and I probably would not have looked closley at any unfired rounds.

Link Posted: 2/11/2005 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, every one of my ARs leaves scratches on the bullet when I eject an unfired round.

One way to determine if the scraches occurs during loading or ejection is to do this.  Remove your extrator from your bolt.  Re-assemble the rifle (minus the extrator).  Insert a loaded magazine and chamber a round.  Remove the upper from the lower.  Using you finger, remove the carrier.  With the carrier out, you will be able to carefully removed the round from the chamber.  If there are scratches on the round, it occurred during chambering.  If no scratches are present, then the scratches must occur during the extraction process.

SEVERAL DISCLAIMERS -

This advise is very dangerous.  

I have never chambered a live round with the extrator removed from the rifle.  But, in theory I do not see any harm that could occur from doing this.

Be aware that you are experimenting with a live round !!!!  You must make sure the rifle/barrel is pointed in a safe direction at all times.
Link Posted: 2/12/2005 6:51:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank's for your time and input.  Since my feed problems are gone, I'm really not that concerned with the scratches. As long as they don't affect accuracy I'll just ignore it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey Beach Boy!
The rounds are scratched upon chambering, at least thats where both of my guns do it ( I called them "guns", ha, ha). You can see this fairly easily by inserting a mag with a round in it, pulling back the charging handle and letting it slide forward to chamber the round. Pull the bolt back slowly, when there is enough room, press against the side of the round with you finger to keep the ejector compressed and the bullet away from the locking lugs (if you dont do this the ejector will slam the bullet against the lugs and possibly scratch it). When the bullet is clear of the locking lugs, with the help of the ejector, remove the round. You will probably see a small scratch with slight twist or crook in it at 5 or 7 o'clock.

Thats what I found anyway!

Later Dude!
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:22:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Go to Walmart and buy some 2000 grit sand paper from the automotive department (for autobodies).  Cut a 1" x .5" section and wrap it around the end of a bullet.  Take the receiver off and then run the bullet by hand like it feeds between the lugs for each feed ramp.  Do this just enough to dull the sharp edges of the lugs and improve feeding.  You will still see makes on the bullet jackets after feeding but they will not be as deep.  It when the lugs are extra shap and are cutting deep into the jackets that it causes feed problems.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top