Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2005 11:42:26 PM EDT
The lube requirements of modern firearms like the AR-15? How well does it lube compaired to modern CLP's like Breakfree, SLIP 2000 and FP-10?

I'm thinking of trying out this oil but I'm not sold on it yet. What does it offer?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone use it and can compair?
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:01:49 PM EDT
[#2]
There are no absolute requirements so to speak.  As long as the oil does not gum-up, does not form varnish, does not attack aluminium, etc.

You have not recieved many replies because not many people use Ballistol.  Neither have I ever used Ballistol.  But, I will make some quesses.  I think that Ballistol would work adequately.  

The AR requires very little lubrication to function, and the Ballistol should provide more than enough lubrication.  

All oils will clean (solvent) to some extent.  So, again, the Balistol should clean as will as any other CLP (well, it will be close to adequate at least).

Without having tested Ballistol for rust prevention, I will be careful here and say that the Ballistol would maybe provide marginal rust prevention (just to be on the cautious side).

If you like Ballistol, use it. I do know bench-rest shooters love the stuff.  So, it should not be too bad.

BUT, WHY DO YOU WANT TO USE BALLISTOL when so many other products are available ?  Just curiuos.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:23:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anyone use it and can compair?

I have used the Ballistol since the late 90's and really do love the stuff.Its a pretty safe gun oil in my opinion and is one of the few that does not break my skin out and is rated safe for use around food prep items like knives etc..The odor has even grown to my liking.Smells of alcohol and dirty socks(dont like) at first and then gets a sweet smell(do like) after it has set for about 30 minutes to an hour.If you want to clear the room of females just spray some of the stuff.Trust me.
After the alcohol evaporates the oil thickens up slightly and is very slick.It does not harden or gum though even in long term storage from what Ive seen.
Its a pretty darn good lube and works fine in the AR....I tried it in the AR for awhile and have no complaints really.
But do I think its as good as say FP-10 or Mil-comm?
Nope.So I use them on my pistols and auto loaders.
Good enough?
Yeap.I would have no problems using it on my AR's and pistols etc. if I needed to and in fact like it better than Break Free as a lube.
It uses isobutyl alcohol as a solvent and therefore cleans really well.Its also a mild alkaline(pH 8-9) which gives the Ballastol and edge on cleaning copper compared to the other clp's.It removes copper almost as well as old #9.Not as fast but close if that helps any.But if you let the bore soak with a coat of Ballistol it will pull the copper out.Being alkaline it also can neutralize corrosive residues.So I use it as a bore cleaner alot.
It protects very well also.I have not had any corrosion on my rifles from the environment,finger prints or corrosive ammo in the years Ive used it.If that means anything to you.
I mainly use the Ballistol as a clp on my mil-surp's,bolt guns and black powder guns and all my knives.Mix it 50/50 with water and its a killer corrosive ammo solvent.
I also use it for everyday around the house and shop for a spray lube.I think its a better oil to use for household and shop stuff than the others like WD-40,3-1and LW.It really breaks rust loose too.Not to mention probably safer than the others.
All I can say other than that is get some and try it for yourself and see what it does for you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I first started using Balistol in the early 90's, after buying an MP5. H&K recomends using it so that's what I did. I use it on all my guns now, and really like it!
I bought a case of it (12-16oz bottles), from a distribitor, and he sent me a book, on the development of it.
It was developed for the German Army. They wanted a gun oil they could use on everything. Metal, wood, leather, ect. You can even use it as a disinfectant. Although the smell is breath taking at first, it does mellow out . Very good stuff!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeap,all that information is on here as well:
www.klever-ballistol.de/
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#6]
WOW! That is a lot of info! Thanks Blankwaffe!!!

How thick is it compaired to Breakfree CLP?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
The Ballistol is a bit thicker than break free when it comes out of the bottle.I use pump sprayers or dropper bottles,I dont like the aerosol.After the alcohol evaporates it thickens up a little more.Looks like a very thin grease if you leave a heavy coat on the surface.Looks sorta like thin or oily vaseline.
Hard to explain without you seeing what Im talking about really.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:02:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I use Ballistol on all my firearms due to an acquired sensitivity to some gun oils, especially CLP.  I use it for cleaning and lubricating, and I think it makes a really good rust preventer too.  I use it in my ARs and, at first, I had the same concerns as you: it's not a modern "wonder lube," so will it work in an AR?  I've been using it 2 years or so, and it appears to do the job.  Get the 16oz bottle, not the aerosol.

Ballistol has a following over on the FAL Files.  Here's a thread on Ballistol and rust prevention that I started on this topic way back when.  Go here.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I use Ballistol on all my firearms due to an acquired sensitivity to some gun oils, especially CLP.  I use it for cleaning and lubricating, and I think it makes a really good rust preventer too.  I use it in my ARs and, at first, I had the same concerns as you: it's not a modern "wonder lube," so will it work in an AR?  I've been using it 2 years or so, and it appears to do the job.  Get the 16oz bottle, not the aerosol.

Ballistol has a following over on the FAL Files.  Here's a thread on Ballistol and rust prevention that I started on this topic way back when.  Go here.

Is there any differance between the aerosal and regular spray/drop bottles? I really like aerosal myself, I just feel it is easier to apply. Is the oil itself the same stuff?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Same stuff, I just think the big bottle of liquid is a better value.  I use a pipette (dropper) to apply to point locations for lube;  on q-tips or a rag for cleaning.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:58:33 AM EDT
[#11]
LarryLove, thanks for that link to the FAL Files. I just got done reading it!! I'm going to order some and test it out for myself! Looks very promising!

It's hard to believe that Balistol was made in 1890 and it is still as good as any modern oil!!! That is impressive!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Initially I had been worried about rust prevention, that's why I posted that question on the Files.  Since then, I'm convinced it does a good job in that regard.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#13]
As far as corrosion protection with Ballistol I cant say just how well it compares with the others.I did a week long environmental test and it survived with no rust.Other than that Ive just used the stuff.Like I said no rust issues.
But the way I maintain my weapons pretty much anything that inhibits the slightest amount will probably do all I need.Its hard being a clean freak but I feel good about it.I sleep good anyway.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Re: Ballistol corrosion protection:

I found this on The Firing Line, posted by JNewell back in 2001:

"I had an involuntary need to store some rifles (and some muskets, with bright metal finish, no bluing or browning) this winter in an unheated building that is subject to heavy condensation as the tempertures change. I took a chance and used Ballistol, mostly because it promised not to harm wood and wood finishes. When I brought them back, there was no rust anywhere, and none of the wood or finishes (various natural and synthetic finishes) showed any damage or marking. Based on this, I would give Ballistol a strong plus for corrosion protection, at least in everyday situations. I didn't try to replicate any mil-spec tests."

URL: <http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75304&page=2&pp=25&highlight=ballistol>
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top