Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/9/2004 12:09:02 AM EDT
Many of you have read about Slip 2000 and their Carbon Cutter product.  I ordered a gallon soon after reading a review Forest posted on the Maryland AR-15 Shooters' site.

Problem with the gallon container, though, is it's not stainless steel and that's the only metal Carbon Cutter can be stored in once the lid is opened.  Go figure, I was out of stainless steel containers!  Gallon milk jugs, however, I was swimmin' in 'em!

The dunk tank was the hard part: I tried Mason jars but I hated the idea of glass 'cause I drop stuff a lot.  So I thought, "Since I went plastic once..."

Eh,Voila -

Now this is ascheap as you can get: the disposable stuff.  I'm using two of these tubs with nary a problem: 30 days and no leaks of any kind.

The lid is caving in because my <grits teeth> lovely wife took these before I had a chance to get them downstairs and actually stored food in them!!!  Then she put them in the dishwasher and melted the friggen lids.  

It's OK.  I bought a Colt LE6920 to get even.

j/k

Anyway, you can see that even the flimsiest plastic container is not affected by the Carbon Cutter, so by playing it safe and getting a decent Tupperware-knockoff as a Dunk Tank your bolt carrier and fellow travelers will be clean as a whistle and your wallet won't be taken to the cleaners.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I sometimes get anal about cleaning guns.
I got a free "sample kit" from Slip2000 and use the Carbon Cutter on my bolt. I put a twist tie through the big hole and leave it in the bottle about 20 minutes. The carbon buildup just wipes off.
Great stuff!
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 8:51:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Dosen't the carbon cutter fluid get dirty? Does it still work multipull times? Can it be "filtered"?
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dosen't the carbon cutter fluid get dirty? No, it's magical.
Does it still work multipull times? Yes
Can it be "filtered"?No

Link Posted: 12/9/2004 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Why is your carbon cutter red/orange?

Mine's green...

Break Free CLP gets off the carbon on my bolt w/o any problems FWIW.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 6:13:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Metroplex..Carbon Cutter used to be gold/orange color but has been changed to green in the last 2 months. Same product..just green..

I have made and use black ABS plastic pipe from Lowes or Home Depot. Just cut to the length of the
longest parts that your going to soak, cap one end and put a male adapter on the other end. Then you use some teflon tape on the plastic pipe plug so it will screw in and out easy. Stuff lasts for ever. Not as cheap as the plastic tuperware above, but it holds the product with out any worries. Slip 2000 also has a new 15" Stainless Steal tank for $66.00 and this unit seals up for long term storage also.

FYI ..64 oz. Apple Sauce containers from the store work out great also..

Link Posted: 12/9/2004 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Are there any concerns about rust using the SLIP2000 products? IIRC they are water based?
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 5:39:42 AM EDT
[#7]
The Carbon Cutter and their 725 Cleaner/Degreaser are water based not the lubricant. I have used for several years and had NO problems. Soak as needed, rinse under warm or hot water (or cold if you live in the back woods) blow off shake off excess water, and then apply Slip 2000 CLP, or your brand as long as it displaces any moisture. Slip 2000 CLP has preformed just fine for me. The great thing about it, after using the S2K CLP a couple of times clean up is so much easier. Carbon just does not want to stick to the inside of my bolt carrier. I do not need the carbon cutter except when I have been unable or to lazey to clean after shooting.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 5:56:12 AM EDT
[#8]

The great thing about it, after using the S2K CLP INSERT NAME OF FAVORITE CLP a couple of times clean up is so much easier. Carbon just does not want to stick to the inside of my bolt carrier.

There, I corrected that statement! I seem to hear the same thing about almost any of the other CLPs, which is a good thing.

Slip 2k CLP has a nasty smell that made me sick after using it awhile. It also did not offer comparable corrosion protection compared to BF CLP.

I'm still trying to find something that will offer the same or better corrosion protection, but also be readily available, cheap, and provide lubrication with EP agents and other anti-wear goodies.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Why does one need these presumably expensive specialty products for cleaning?  I use the old Army method - a solvent tank (bought on sale at Harbor Freight Tools for maybe $60, 20 gallon version, it has a circulating pump) filled with low odor mineral spirits.  After soaking for maybe a minute, the carbon just wipes off  or can be washed off by the stream of solvent from the nozzle of the circulating pump.

Of course now, being older and wiser, I use gloves instead of bare hands around the solvent!

Here's a nifty benchtop parts washer at Harbor Freight for $40:

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35740
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Since you have taken the liberty to change or edit statements, I shall take the liberty to say that YOUR the only one that seems to object to the smell of Slip 2000. Infact there have been many postes that say it has no objectional oder compared to many others out there. Anyway, it also has passed all corrosian protection test that work for me. I and I think most shooters out there are not about to go swiming in th ocean with my guns. Kinda extream if you ask me. Thats my opinion, and you know what opinions are like. Everyone has one.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The great thing about it, after using the S2K CLP INSERT NAME OF FAVORITE CLP a couple of times clean up is so much easier. Carbon just does not want to stick to the inside of my bolt carrier.

There, I corrected that statement! I seem to hear the same thing about almost any of the other CLPs, which is a good thing.

Slip 2k CLP has a nasty smell that made me sick after using it awhile. It also did not offer comparable corrosion protection compared to BF CLP.

I'm still trying to find something that will offer the same or better corrosion protection, but also be readily available, cheap, and provide lubrication with EP agents and other anti-wear goodies.

met why not just add miltec to bf clp, miltec is after all ep lube, maybe something like a 3 to 7 percent mixture?
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Since you have taken the liberty to change or edit statements, I shall take the liberty to say that YOUR the only one that seems to object to the smell of Slip 2000. Infact there have been many postes that say it has no objectional oder compared to many others out there. Anyway, it also has passed all corrosian protection test that work for me. I and I think most shooters out there are not about to go swiming in th ocean with my guns. Kinda extream if you ask me. Thats my opinion, and you know what opinions are like. Everyone has one.

Slip 2000 CLP smells nasty IMHO - I can't explain it. I've handled lots of chemicals and petro products and Slip 2000 CLP ranks with Gear Oil as making me feel sick.

While extreme, my flawed dunk test isn't as extreme as the corrosion tests done here at work. As I said before, one of the engineers told me he soaks the parts in a salt-water bath for 4 days to see how it turns out.

After 5 hours in the dunk test, I didn't find a single product that would provide adequate protection short of using paint or a sealant. I usually do 2-3 hours max. I choose the extreme test to cut through all of the marketing hype and typical contractor extreme claims BS. "My product is better than (insert standard military issued item) because of (insert typical marketing hype filled with buzz words like "syngergistically", "21st century", "Advanced polymer", and "space age"). " Hehehe

Greg: I've thought about that, but I'd still have to order Militec-1.
I have a theory that Chrylser's MS-7176E (ATF+3) or 7176F (ATF+4) might do the trick of providing corrosion protection and have the right anti-wear additives.

ATF+3/+4 is supposed to be HIGHLY friction modified, which means lots of friction reducing additives. However, I hope it resembles cheap Mercon ATF in terms of corrosion protection. Mercon-V did not provide any decent amount of corrosion protection compared to BF CLP or Mercon.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I sometimes get anal about cleaning guns.
I got a free "sample kit" from Slip2000 and use the Carbon Cutter on my bolt. I put a twist tie through the big hole and leave it in the bottle about 20 minutes. The carbon buildup just wipes off.
Great stuff!

How did you go about getting a free sample kit from them? I went to their website and did not see any mention of one.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Huh, I've never heard of Carbon Cutter before.  I, too, would like to know about getting a free sample.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#15]
local auto parts store must have at least 50 wonder ep lubes you can look for.  I would guess look for one that suggest about 2 floz to 32 floz of oil, those would have the higest amount of ep's.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Meeting something close to mil-spec is also important (low pour point, high flash point).
ATF+3/+4 is available in local stores but I just need time to go there and pick up a quart. Work hours currently prevent that from happening.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Try Eezox
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#18]
I know, but you can mix enigne oil ep with bf hell thats all miltec is and why it should not be used alone. I mixted my miltec into some kroil for a general oil around the  house and jeep use.
Link Posted: 12/10/2004 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Elmer, the difference is you can rinse this stuff down the drain while mineral spirits, IIRC, is not regarded by local Water Boards as a "Green" chemical, if you know what I mean...  You don't need gloves with this either.

The wash tank is cool,it can't touch my system for its thrift factor.
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#20]
el add a fish pump some duct tape and you got a real cheap preesure washer
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Very cool idea!

Thing is, though, this stuff is so good at grinding off the goo that a pressure system is really overkill; all you do is breakdown your bolt system, leave it set for 15 min. or so, rinse it, lube it, and reassemble.

Eh Voila, Se Fini!

It really is that easy.  That's why a 3/$5 dunk tank is the perfect accessory.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 4:32:02 PM EDT
[#22]
ER, no doubt you have the cheapest system, and cheap is good  However reading the Maryland AR-15 review it sounds like there are a lot of limitations.  I like a solvent tank since you can soak all the parts and shoot a solvent stream in the upper receiver, down the barrel, etc.  I am a little leery of using water or anything water based.  I was tempted though with all those Army stories of guys taking their M-16s into the shower with them!

In terms of the environment, 5 gallons of solvent in a tank will last the average shooter for years.  And when you need to dispose of it you can just burn it off.
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 4:34:22 AM EDT
[#23]
The Slip2000 Carbon Cutter sounds really good I may need to get a gallon and try it myself!

BTW, how long does the stuff last?  How many times can the Carbon Cutter in your bin get reused before it gets to contaminated to clean properly?
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#24]
You use this stuff over and over and over and its like that little rabbit on TV. It just keeps on cleaning!
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#25]
And if you need to clean it...just run it through a coffee filter.

Done and done.
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Ah, I didn't know that!

Damnit, I learned something today.  I was doing so well....
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#27]

I've handled lots of chemicals and petro products...

Well then...that does explain it

Y-
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top