Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2004 6:11:21 PM EDT
I've seen (and used) a variety of lubricants on all sorts of guns, including ARs.  My last AR was lubed exclusively with LSA, and it did fine.  In the Air Force, I've used both LSA and CLP.  Here and elsewhere I've seen discussions of using everything from exotic synthetics and other, special purpose lubricants to single-grade motor oil.

Whatever happened to good old "light machine oil?"  This is the same sort of stuff that the Army called "PL Special" in the Garand days, and works out to the same stuff you use on good fishing reels and sewing machines, and the stuff the CMP folks use on the Garands they sell.

It's plentiful, cheap, and built for fine tolerance equipment and high speed, high temperature uses.  I got a quart of the stuff when I bought my office shredder, and noticed immediately that it lacks the detergents and additives found in motor oil.  It is also very light and easy to apply, making it a breeze to use.

Is there any problem with this stuff, or is it just not "the best" lubricant?
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#1]
CLP - clean, lubricant, protect

Light machine oil = lubricant

CLP does more than just lubricate.   I've seen too many guns screwed up that are easily fixed with a good clean and clp lube job.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top