Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2004 5:15:02 PM EDT
...just purchased a new Colt lightweight match AR15. The rifle has obviously been on the shelf quite while and needed serious cleaning to get the gunk off the carrier assembly and bolt.

I noticed some slight signs of rust at the bottom aft end of the carrier. How can I treat the area?

Thanks.

Chuck
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's light rust, I'd take some 0000 steel wool to it and follow up with some FP-10 or some other protectant.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I would use an old bore brush or tooth brush and FP-10 to clean the rusted area.Soak with FP-10 overnight and do it again until all the rust is gone.
Watch the steel wool as it will take the finish right off if not very careful.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 1:10:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Get ahold of Brownells.

Bronze wool. FP-10, Break free.
Rust gone, finish safe.

If not , I second the use of an old Bronze bore brush.

S-28

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:09:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Got to local autoparts store (Autozone) buy brass brushes use that and fp-10, clp, g96. etc to remove the oil dont have any of those marvel myster oil will work as well as kriol.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 3:58:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Rust spots with the largest approx .05 diameter.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:35:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

0000 steel wool won't.  Or to put it another way, if you have to rub so much that you're taking off the finish, then it wasn't light rust.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

0000 steel wool won't.  Or to put it another way, if you have to rub so much that you're taking off the finish, then it wasn't light rust.  

You would be suprised what 0000 steel wool will do in the hands of someone not knowing what is really going on.I have seen several blued guns deblued in spots as big as a finger nail from someone trying to remove a tiny freckle.
Id rather have a small bit of rust.
The brush is more effective in my opinion due to the additional reach the bristles offer into the rusted area if pitted.
Its also faster requiring less scrub time and a less likely finish damage.
Looks like the fella has more than tiny freckles.
I agree with S-28.I only use bronze wool anyway.I refinish alot of wood stocks and bronze wool is the way to go.So I have a bunch on hand.My local Ace hardware has the bronze wool in stock.Might look there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 1:00:46 AM EDT
[#9]
shoot the damned thing.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top