Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2004 6:56:45 PM EDT
I just cleaned my new BM AR.  I started using breakfree clp cleaner to clean this gun to try it out. i noticed after the gun set after a good cleaning inside and out that ther is a slight film white kinda off white. is the chemicals in breakfree washing out the white in my rag and leaving it on my reciever?? just curious if anyone else has noticed this. can you guys give me your ways and tips on keeping your recievers looking good on the outside, with out hurting the factory coating??
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#1]
it's probably just TEFLON thats in the lube......

breakfree possibilities:
is your bottle running low ?
did you shake it before you used it?
did you store it top side down prior to using it?

may be old?

what kind rag did you use?
was it a polishing rag by mistake on your end?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#2]
no its brand new aerosol bottle of breakfree. maybe  i need to start using black rags, old white hand towels is all i have.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Please be very specific about the BreakFree product.  Does the container say CLP, or is it a spray bottle ?  I am not that familiar with all of the BreakFree product line, but it sounds like that you are using a solvent, NOT an oil, of some sort.

Please get the BreakFree container, and write what the label says.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#4]
is says breafree clp on it . i read somewhere on here that it is ok to use the clp on all sufaces of the ar.  and that they are having good results with it. thats why i started using it on this gun. (new gun, new cleaner)
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:45:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The BF CLP is fine inside and out.It will not harm your AR in any way.
If you used a white cloth to wipe the AR with your probably seeing the lint that was left from the cloth.So yeah use a black cloth to wipe with when you clean again.I use a 7/8" stencil paint brush to spread the lube a drop ata time with.It does not shed and leaves a light film of oil on the surfaces.
Raymond
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#6]
i thought it might be lint too but it is actually a film. so its ome type of chemicla reaction going, i actually changed rags too and retried it an dlet it sit. same thing. it rubs off with a finger rub though. so i still dont know
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats strange man.
The BF may be displacing the packing grease or oil.Something.Dont know...never seen anything like that with BF.I used the stuff for 13 or so years.I guess it could be you got a can of BF with alot of PTFE in it.But Ive never seen that with a PTFE lube...even TW-25B which is a white grease with a heavy concentration of PTFE.
I say wipe it down and soak it a couple times and see what happens.If it continues get a different can of BF and try it.If its PTFE dont worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#8]
What others stuff did you use on the surface before you applied the CLP ?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:37:43 AM EDT
[#9]
i havnt used anything on it prior its a new rifle
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:01:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never used aerosol CLP, but I use the pump stuff all the time; I've never seen anything like that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:06:38 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
it's probably just TEFLON thats in the lube......

breakfree possibilities:
is your bottle running low ?
did you shake it before you used it?
did you store it top side down prior to using it?

may be old?

what kind rag did you use?
was it a polishing rag by mistake on your end?

+1 you have to shake the bottle before using it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#12]
here is the deal i took it back to walmart and they did say they had another complaint about the batch i bought from. it was the aerosol breakfree clp. and ya i shook it i shook the piss out of it. i used hoppes elite gun oil on it, and it looks alot better thanks again to all of you who helped me out in the "crisis" hehehe.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Solvents such as CLP will react with detergents to create a white film.  If you ever try to wash a solvent laden Bore Snake with dishwashing detergent (which I don't recommend) you will see.  Make sure you just use CLP or CLP after Hoppes solvent etc.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
here is the deal i took it back to walmart and they did say they had another complaint about the batch i bought from. it was the aerosol breakfree clp. and ya i shook it i shook the piss out of it. i used hoppes elite gun oil on it, and it looks alot better thanks again to all of you who helped me out in the "crisis" hehehe.

The last pint of BF I bought did not have any PTFE in it.I guess what you got was too much.
Maybe BF needs to check thier QC.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, now that we solved the puzzle, let's give this thread a new life.  

BreakFree no longer adds solid teflon particles to the CLP.  Take a bottle of CLP and pour it into a clear container.  See anything other than a transparent green liquid ?  Let it sit overnight.  Look at it again.  See anything other than a clear green-tinted liquid ?  

I bet the answer is NO.  All you we see is a clear greenish liquid.  THERE IS NO SOLIDS IN CLP.  YOU CAN SKIP THE SHAKE.

I recall there were a few threads in the past that discussed BreakFree changing the formula of CLP a few years back.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the information.
Was this a recent change?
I started a thread on this very topic back in the summer.Ive had the new green formula with PTFE and without.But being there are no lot numbers to go by there is only speculation.So its beating a dead horse.But.
Here's some info and history for the Break Free followers from a couple emails I got in response to my questions on the topic over the last couple years from Don Yoder.Figured someone here might be interested.Interesting to me anyway.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date 9-21-02
From 1979 to 1993 we used chlorinated solvents combined with non-chlorinated solvents(about 24% total by volume).In 1986,when testing the M16A1 at -40 C(F) we found the viscosity of the oil portion was a bit high.Everything was o.k. at -30 C but not at -40 C.The critical viscosity of the was 7000cst.Below that o.k.,above that trouble.In June 1993 we were advised that our formula would be required to go non-chlorinated.We had already been shipping non-chlorinated into Europe with the viscosity adjusted for the -40 requirement.By March of 1994 the non chlorinated version replaced the chlorinated version on the Military Qualified Products list(QPL).At the time the military specification was in revision D,Amd 6 with revision E being proposed and still is proposed awaiting QPL testing.In 1999 and again in 2000 the M16A2 and the M4 carbine were tested at the -40 C temperature to verify the ability of our products to meet this requirement and all went well.For production we found we could use the "D" revision as our aerosol using carbon dioxide as the gas to get it out of the can.For our liquid we elected to use the "E" material as it has less solvent and provided the user with a higher viscosity to help reduce run-off.The only performance difference was the viscosity at -54C weather.When the solvents evaporated they are both the same,
To support the lubrication we still add a small amount of the PTFE powder to help improve the boundary film.
The PTFE powder turns to a gas at 1% by weight per hour at 900F.Just make sure to keep your gun below 900F for extended periods.The 0.5 to 1 micron particles are in a very thin layer next to the metal.Not a real problem.I would think people would be more concerned about the far higher quality of oil but PTFE always seems to get the attention.

Date 8-26-03
Our supplier of the prime rust inhibitor advised us they had an upgrade in early 1998.We tested it for nearly two years to make sure they were right in it being an upgrade.This happens from time to time when someone's manufacturing process is upgraded and we let our lab determine the true value to Break Free.However,in this case they were right.Corrosion tests showed an improvement and the lubrication tests were o.k. as well.
There was a shift in color from amber to an emarald green(light sensitive and goes back to a light amber in the sun)and we noticed the PTFE powder dispersed better.Its always nice when a change in fact a change for the better.It was put into production at the end of 1999 and began going into distribution in May 2000.We heard alot about the green but lab tests/results were all good.
For military work there are 14 different tests we are required to meet so testing is always needed to make sure we are getting our job done.Thats why it takes several years before any change,large or small is allowed and never in the basic chemistry.The last major change was in 1993 when we went non-chlorinated.
The new formula was adopted by the military at the end of 1993 and went on the QPL in March of 1994.That formulation change began in 1989 and the work finished in 1993,so you can see we are very careful when looking at upgrades.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started using Break Free in 1989 and have been a huge fan.So I do try and keep up,and yeah I ask good questions and alot of them.For those of us that have had the new green formula with PTFE can say that the PTFE actaully looks grey in color due to the new formula.All bottles Ive eye balled still say shake well.
And if you read the MSDS's the aerosol version is closer to what the military uses.More solvent.
I will attempt to contact Mr. Yoder again and see what he says,PTFE or not.That is the question.
Raymond
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Use Militec-1. No more white. And a better lube.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#18]
and no rust prevent.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Militec better.....
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 7:04:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Use Militec-1. No more white. And a better lube.

Great lube, but even better if you like rust...
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top