Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 6:50:36 AM EDT
I was woundering if any one can help me with a good way to remove the taper pins that hold on my A2 front sight?
I want to change thr handguard to a FF tube .
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Punch and hammer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#2]
their are the taper pins in the front site.. 4 pins off set from each other, on bottum of barrel Not roll pins.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
their are the taper pins in the front site.. 4 pins off set from each other, on bottum of barrel Not roll pins.  

Yes, that is correct they are NOT roll pins but there are only TWO of them, not four. The pins are solid and tapered. They go all the way through the base and secure the base to the barrel through corresponding races drilled through the bottom of the barrel. Take a punch and hammer and hit the pins on the side that is the smallest in diameter to remove them, that is the way they go out. Repeat on the larger side when re-inserting them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I hope you are not trying to remove the front sight base on a Bushmaster!!  If you are good luck with it, They do something to crush the taper pins when they assemble them at the factory.  You will not be able to remove that front sight base on a Bushmaster with a hammer and punch.  But I know a dremmel tool works just fine, as long as you are willing to put a new gas block or front sight base on it.

Have fun!!

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Had no problem getting  sight off of my bushmaster.  Went from left to right. Pin punch and small hammer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Had no problem getting  sight off of my bushmaster.  Went from left to right. Pin punch and small hammer.

Same here.  Applied Kroil (penetrating oil) the night before.

Used a punch and a BFH.  Two hits on each pin.

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:44:05 AM EDT
[#7]
the upper is a DPMS A2 ill look again bit it looks like there are four pins on two on eather side that do not line up from laft to right.  ill look @ it again you guys are probibly right. Ill take a pic if it still seems funny.
Thanx BB
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#8]
COOL >.. JUST GOT THEM OUT! thanx Rebel_Rifle, and any one that responded!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top