Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 2:03:14 AM EDT
I will be putting 3 AR's for storage. 1 chrome lined abrrel, 2 chrome moly(unlined) barrel. what is the best procedure and type of lubricant to use for long term storage? Should i use Tetra grease for some of the parts? or can i just soak barrel with Break free CLP?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Might as well soak it with CLP.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
fp-10, a few months. cosmo a few years.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd use the FP-10 or Break Free if its going to be short term like three months or less in a controlled environment.If stored in a cabinet you can go longer.
For six months to a year I would use something like TW-25B,RIG or Remington grease.The nice thing about the TW-25B is you can wipe off excess and go without degreasing.
Cosmo is just to messy to deal with for me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:11:30 PM EDT
[#4]
CorrisionX

www.corrosionx.com
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 2:02:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Blank I have had rust form under tw25b (milcomm) on my op-rod for the M1A. I also had the same effecgt with tetra grease. Now this was 4 months in a "bad" gun storage location. The rust can off with a 2 day soaking with FP-10. The M1A is a Fulron NM build so I dont pull it apart to often.

Grease which I have not had a rust problem with so far, Mobil 1, PL-10, Vavlion Li grease, USGI Grease (red and white), Wolf's Head Red Grease, and of course Cosmo.

Longest I have had cosmo on a gun was 4 years. To remove it all i used was FP-10 and some patches and a warm gun. I used a comerical heat gun to warm things up a bit. You must use common sense with this method as to hot you can burn and melt things.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats interesting GregoryK.
Ive heard a couple other folks say the same thing about the TW...but have never seen anything like that while using it.
I will make note of your word of caution though.
Raymond
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
So how "liberal" (hate that word these days) do you apply it and where?  Obviously anything that is metal, but is there someplaces to pay special attention?  Other places to avoid?  What about assemblies like the bolt/bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:13:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Heavy coat everywhere on steel parts inside and out .  Just remember to punch the bore before firing and remove any excess lube that might inhibit function.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll be going on a mission in about 3 months, and I'll need to store my guns for the two years I'm out, so I've got a few questions as well, if that's OK.

First, should I remove the furniture? Should I remove the B/BC/CH and store them in tupperwares with the proper grease or anything, or would it be OK to store them in the gun?

Should I fill the bore of my guns with grease, or just coat them thouroughly? Should I do anything to mags for storage? Scopes (besides lens covers/full scope cover)?

To be honest, I wouldn't mind having to take a week to clean each gun so long as they don't rust on me while I'm gone. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:36:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'll be going on a mission in about 3 months, and I'll need to store my guns for the two years I'm out, so I've got a few questions as well, if that's OK.

First, should I remove the furniture? Should I remove the B/BC/CH and store them in tupperwares with the proper grease or anything, or would it be OK to store them in the gun?

Should I fill the bore of my guns with grease, or just coat them thouroughly? Should I do anything to mags for storage? Scopes (besides lens covers/full scope cover)?

To be honest, I wouldn't mind having to take a week to clean each gun so long as they don't rust on me while I'm gone. Thanks!

All I ever do is put a good coat of oil on every bit of steel and have never had a problem with rust, even when leaving arms for months at a time.  Removing and storing the B/BC/CH is not necessary.  It is necessary to apply oil to the barrel under the handguards as rust will form there and many neglect that area.  Unless you leave your arms in high humidity then they should be fine with a heavy coat of protectant.  

Adding a dehumidifier or goldenrod to the storage area would also help if feasible.

If you're hyper paranoid, then break out the cosmoline, but in AZ, I wouldn't think you'd have too much to worry about to begin with...

Only two areas of a USGI mag that can rust are the spring and floorplate.  If you're worried about it, just put a light coat of lube on them.

I wouldn't worry about a scope unless it has batteries.  If so, they should be removed.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 6:54:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I would not store the rifle parts in sealed plastic containers either.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top