Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 10:51:50 AM EDT
Ok, i got my RRA upper and lower about a month ago.  I immediately noticed some finish had flaked off of the front sight tower.  It has been to the range twice since then.  Now I notice that the finish has flaked off of the thumb selector "stop" (where the selector lever contacts when the switch is put on "safe", and on the brass deflector.  I can see bright shiny aluminum  on both of these spots.  Is this normal?  I could understand if this thing had been to a couple of carbine classes or was a military rifle, but this rifle is about a month old, having been to the range twice! It has been pampered and has less than 200 rounds through it.  
What should I expect of the finish on an AR?

IBCGUY
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#1]
The finish should not be flaking off your lower receiver. The proper finish to the lower and upper receivers is annodizing which is a electro-chemical process. This finish can not flake off as paint might but it can wear through with use. The front sight tower should be parked which is a chemical process, this too willl eventually wear through but will not flake off. Could it be someone in the past painted your weapon or applied some type of spray-on finish?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I purchased the upper and lower brand new...I don't want to say from whom until I have given them a chance to fix the problem.  How common is it for there to be a problem with the anodizing process?

Thanks,
IBCGUY
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I purchased the upper and lower brand new...I don't want to say from whom until I have given them a chance to fix the problem.  How common is it for there to be a problem with the anodizing process?

Thanks,
IBCGUY

I'm an aircraft mechanic, annodizing is used quite often in aviation. The only problems I have encountered in my time in aviation production is the parts being pitted during the finish process. I have a RRA lower receiver I purchased, I won't mention from who, but it has numerous pitted areas from being annodized incorrectly. I guess that's why the price was so cheap! But it functions normally just the same. Any how, annodizing should not flake off.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Any other RRA owners experience this problem?  I am trying to figure out if I should exchange it or just live with it as-is.  If it stays as is, well, I might be able to live with it.  If this is a sign of things to come though, I need to send it back ASAP.

Thanks for the replies!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]
my RRA AR does not have this problem. The only spot it is showing the bars metal is on th case reflector when they smash into the gun when ejected. The gun is flawless in several thousands rounds.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Skag,
Do you mean that you have bare, shiny aluminum showing on your case deflector, where spent cartridges are ejected into it?  This is exactly what mine is doing.

IBCGUY
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#7]
IBC,
The black coating is only chipped off on the exact edge of the deflector where it the curve meets the flat part that starts to go into the ejection port. Basicly where the deflector starts, right on the edge and that spot is very small, maybe the thickness of a sheet of paper. I tried to pick at it with my finger nail and it will not flake or peel at all. That is the only spot on the gun that shows bare metal.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Aw c'mon, you know it's cool.
Bushmaster upper
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had no problems with the finish on my Entry Carbine (upper or lower), although the POS tactical handle (in the bottom of a drawer somewhere) had the finish flake off the center screw just by touching it with my fingernail! It appears that one piece was painted with Krylon, although the anodizing seems fine. I'll keep an eye on it though!

Chris
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#10]
remember that many companies hard anodize their aluminum for hardness and wear resistance...and then coat over it with a resin or other type of spray on finish for looks.

anodizing will not flake off.  but a spray on finish can.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top