Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2004 1:15:25 PM EDT
How many of you use hot water to clean your AR-15's, or guns in general?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
About the only time I use hot water is when cleaning real nasty bores after firing corrosive ammo or black powder.Thats pretty limited to mil-surp bolt guns and the Garand.
Never seen the need on a AR unless its been covered in mud or salt water etc..
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:49:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Only used water on  1911's to date have yet to get my Ar that bad.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Back when I was in the Infantry we did it (works really well) got caught by the Sgt. and then we were doing push ups till are arms fell off... Needless to say didn't do that again...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#4]
The first time I dipped some SKS parts in boiling water to remove cosmoline, I noticed the sheer amount of corrosion that seemed to form almost instantly after the water evaporated. I can safely say that after this, I will never allow water to touch a firearm again.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Hot water and mild soap for cleaning the bolt minus the extractor spring w/ rubber insert. And just these parts only.

After which I soak in alchohol and blow out with my mini air compressor ... then soak with your fav-o-rite lube.

Again, I wouldn't use hot water and soap on any other area/part of the AR ...
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried the hot water thing last night on my AR and I won't do it again. I did get a tiny bit of rust on the feed ramps but it came off and I oiled the heak out of the gun to try to get the water out of the tight places. I'll stick to solvents that won't cause rust. I just they were as safe for me as the water was.....but that kills the gun.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top