Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/6/2004 6:14:33 AM EDT
I have a bushmaster varminter.  Awesome gun I must say.  Anyway.  I clean that barrel with Hoppes 9 and when finished run patches through until I see no coloration on the patch.  When I look down the barrel I can still see some copper coloring in the Rifeling.  Any suggestions?  Also.  Just curious which parts of the gun you lubricate.
Thanks Guys.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:10:10 AM EDT
[#1]
lube as you would any Ar type rifle. hoppes needs a day or more to remove copper.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a special copper solvent out, can't think of the name but it works great.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't really like Hoppes as it just takes too long to clean. I use Butches Bore Shine and it is just as safe as Hoppes but does 1000X better cleaning copper!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweets 7.62   It cuts the copper great

after cleaning with shooters choice I use Sweets Run a wet patch wait 5 then do another
You will never see a more neon blue as the copper comes out.
repeat process until no blue comes out and your done.

don't forget to lube the bore
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#5]
what about outers bore foam?

has anyone used that? i looked at it the other night when i was at walmart at it seems intriging, no amonia, turns blue when disolving copper.

does it work ?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank You For The Replies.  I'll look into sweets and butches bore shine.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

has anyone used that? i looked at it the other night when i was at walmart at it seems intriging, no amonia, turns blue when disolving copper.

does it work ?

It does work. It is acctually Mil-Foam in a Outer brand can. They are working together under license. www.milfoam.com. It is interesting stiff and is safe. I'm still trying to decide how well it works. You do need to still scrub the bore but it does get it clean, I can't tell yat as I only used it once so raf if it works as good as Butches or Sweets....those are hard to top!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Be VERY careful with Sweets 7.62!!!!!! If you leave it in the barrel over 15 minutes it will start to eat it and ruin the bore.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

does it work ?

It does work. It is acctually Mil-Foam in a Outer brand can. They are working together under license. www.milfoam.com. It is interesting stiff and is safe. I'm still trying to decide how well it works. You do need to still scrub the bore but it does get it clean, I can't tell yat as I only used it once so raf if it works as good as Butches or Sweets....those are hard to top!

I just tried outers the other day.  I only let it sit for 15 min. and I got most of the copper out.  Next time I clean I am going to let it sit longer, but considering how much copper was in there I am impressed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#10]
i tried the mil-foam the other day and i admit it is pretty cool!! it turns the copper blue or the copper turns the foam blue, whatever.

but the only problem is it is sticky as hell if you dont get it all off.

i also used it to clean a stripped barrel i just got back from threading and noticed that the foam forces itself through the gas port. which made me wonder if it would cause a problem in the future.

other than the gas port deal this stuff really works
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:56:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone used Wipe-Out in their AR? It works great in my Rem M700 but Iwasn't sure if Wipe-Out will react with the aluminum upper.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top