Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2004 4:05:11 PM EDT
Does anyonw know which is the better cleaner? I have used Mpro7 and it works great but I don't like how it destroys wood finishes. Mil-Comm's MC-25 is another non-toxic cleaner that claims to cleen extreemly well but is harmless to wood finishes. If MC-25 does as good as Mpro7 and is sarf for all types of gun finishes that would make a better choice. Thank you for any input!
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally I like the MC-25 cleaner best.Two reasons...First its much cheaper....second it seems to penetrate fouling much faster since its basically a thin water base surfactant.pH is around 8 so its a mild alkaline if that bothers you.
Mpro-7 is thicker and much more expensive.I have not seen a pH level on the Mpro-7...but the tech at Mpro-7 says the inhibitors control that concern.
I cant really tell much difference in the two as far as overall cleaning.Both work extremely well.
One advantage the Mpro-7 does have is it uses an inhibitor to prevent corrosion.
Never really had either on finished wood so I cant comment.
I have used both on painted guns and saw no ill effects.
Raymond
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Use the Mpro-7 by the gallon at work.

The reason is that it is environmentally friendly, non-toxic, and biodegradable.
I work for safety and enviro-Nazis thanks to the liberal media creating panic about our "Facility".

It took 4 months to get the Mpro through the chemistry approval process.
And I have some 30 gallons of it left this quarter.

Already have started the process for approval of the MC25.

The samples sent to me from Mr. Furlong, have proven to be more aggressive on carbon fouling, and still safe to use by naked infants and Bambi.

The Mpro works well enough though.

Have not used either on my sporting rifles nor have I put either on a wood stock.

In either case it's better than the petrolium based solvents on the human safety front.

My vote?
MC25

Simply because I am lazy, and the stuff works faster than MPro-7

Hope this helps.
S-28

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you gentelmen! I know M-pro7 will harm a wood stock finish so don't get it on it as I found this out the hard way!!! I'll try MC-25 tomorrow as my order just got here!!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I buy the pint bottles of MC-25 and use it alot.Its good stuff.
The stuff works wonders on cleaning black powder and corrosive surplus.
Raymond
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Blankwaffe, I flunked science class! What do you mean by MC-25 is PH 8 and is alkline? Also does it cut through copper and lead well?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Failed science class....Man I never went so dont ask me.
Nope it does nothing for copper.Simple green has a pH of 9.5 I think and Ballistol oil is pH 8.5-9,just to confuse things even more.
The scale starts acids,neutral and then alkaline.Too high of a pH and it becomes caustic and is as damaging as acids.The MC-25 is just above lets say soapy water on the scale and is rather weak which is good as far we are concerned.Ammonia is higher up the scale and then you have caustic.
Man I cant think how to explain this any other way.My brain hurts.Maybe S-28 and do a better job.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for trying I understand I think. So it is a little more acid like them Mpro7 hence it works a little better. Could MC-25 corrode the metal at all then?

I tried it on a wood stock with a poly finish. It did start to remove the finish after a few minutes but did not do the damage that Mpro7 does which was a lot more in a very fast time. MC-25 kinf od took the shine off of the wood if not wiped off right away. I left it on the wood for a few hours and it totally soften the finish where it would ome right off with a whipe of the towle.

I'm planing or refinishing this stock anyway! MC-25 does dry fast and the only way to keep it on the wiid was to "pool" it.  The thinner it was it drys fast which is a good thing!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is the best description I could find about what we are talking about.
www.simplegreen.com/pdfs/ph_scale.pdf
Print it off,its a good reference.
The MC-25 will not hurt your guns as long as it is used and wiped off...I would oil it as soon as I could though.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:22:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I ain't a Chemist, and I don't play one on TV, and I have never spent a night at a Holiday Inn Express.

I do understand however that the PH level of any cleaner residue, does have an impact on the chemical that is used as a preservative that is applied after the cleaning.

The MC-25 has little to no effect on common preservatives from what I have seen.

MPro-7 does have a slight influence as witnessed while using BreakFree and TW-25B as a lube preservative. Though I will mention it is slight.

Simple Green is "Slightly" acidic, and though not aggressive has some noted influence in regards to the breakdown of the barriers to corrosion of steel parts.

The use of any non-petrolium based cleaner/ degreaser should be immediately be followed by application of a Preservative, and a regimen of cleaning and application of preservatives.

The ideal situation is to match the cleaner to the preservative so as to have a complimentary situation.

Short of that, a weekly "Love session" of the firearms will preclude any issues unless you live in a particularly hostile environment. Adjust as neccessary.

Mind the hype. Show the things some love regularly and you wont have any problems.

S-28

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:23:59 AM EDT
[#10]
FWIW, the Army has forbidden the use of simple green for cleaning rifles. Apparently it strips the annodizing.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top