Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2004 9:59:24 PM EDT
Is there any thing that is close to gun scrubber that does the same thing, but is cheaper??

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#1]
CRC Brake Cleaner (Green label) $2.29 a can  @ NAPA
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:06:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Auto Zone has some brake cleaner .99 a can. Valuecraft I think is the name.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:09:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Lots of pressure behind it too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:33:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1 works great if not better than gun scrubber.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Carb & Choke cleaner also works just like gun scrubber but it may actually be a little stronger.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Does brake cleaner harm the finish on AR15 magazines, receivers, flash hiders, etc?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Thats a good question,, i found some of that CRC brake cleaner.  Havn't had to use it yet. It is cheaper than gun scrubber.  Hopefully it dosn't do any damadge to the finish.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I know for a fact brake cleaner WILL take off paint/clearcoat style finishes, and it will slowly take off parkerized finishes (comes off slightly black on a rag and the finish looks lighter).

I'm not sure about anodized aluminum coatings or the other coatings used on the various parts for the rifle (bolt catch, safety selector, etc...) This is just in case some of your solvent gets in contact with the other parts (can easily happen).
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone had any problems with there finish using CRC brake cleaner??
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Shooters Choice "polymer Safe Degreaser"  PSD. It does everything Gun Scrubber and brake cleaner do  but it does not harm plastics, paints and wood finishes. It is more expensive but my guns finishes are worth it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Has anyone had any problems with there finish using CRC brake cleaner??

No, I have not.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Non chlorinated Brake clean, etc. is safest.  the Chlorine is the component most reactive w/ plastics, ets.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Stick & Zach.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:06:02 AM EDT
[#15]
The park finish gets lighter because all the oil is drawn out when using brake cleaner. Verry important to re oil after using any type of brake cleaner or guin scrubber. If you dont your rifle has no oil for rust prevent.  the solvents in brakecleaner will not hurt park or bluing, paint is a different animal.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Carb & Choke cleaner also works just like gun scrubber but it may actually be a little stronger.

You will also find that it is the most destructive to plastics!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 6:08:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I've use Wal-Mart brand carburetor cleaner (in a black can) with good results.  I have not had any bad things happen with plastics, plus it's real cheep. I have had bad things happen with Primus (black can) brake cleaner and plastic though. Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Be careful about applying any of these cleaners to the rubber insert on your extractor.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:20:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Be careful about applying any of these cleaners to the rubber insert on your extractor.

Rubber inserts? what it this and what gun are you refering to? My RRA AR odes not have any rubber on it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 12:05:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The park finish gets lighter because all the oil is drawn out when using brake cleaner. Verry important to re oil after using any type of brake cleaner or guin scrubber. If you dont your rifle has no oil for rust prevent.

This is important to note.  It will literally draw lubricant from the pores.  Post lubrication is a necessity to reseal the pores and cover the surface to prevent oxidation where there is no unpermeable finish.  I find most surfaces will acquire a lighter more matte shade because all the oils are stripped.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:06:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Hey SkagSig40 ...

On my Colt AR's, if you take the extractor pin out and remove the extractor from the bolt, you'll see 2 more parts ... the extractor spring with a small rubber insert.

Perhaps your RRA doesn't have this feature.

Just as austinwft had stated, these type of cleaners are destructive on plastics. And I'll go as far as to state "most plastics" and rubber.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:22:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Got ya! Well I have seen the destruction Brake cleaner will do. That is why I use Shooters Choice Polymer Safe Degreaser(PSD). It is just like brake cleaner, drys fast and has no effect on plastics, rubber or wood. I use it all the time and it is great. I looked a while for a product like it and I believe it is the only kind of brake cleaner type stuff that is harmless to plastic, rubber and wood finishes on the market.. Check it out!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Skag ... (I can call you Skag, for short?)

Thanks for the follow-up.

Do you buy your products on-line? If so, can you post it please?

I'm afriad living here close to Miami, there's not much availible, except at those bazooka type gun shows.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#24]
No Problem! I do buy mine localy but you can get it a www.shooters-choice.com. PSD is right on their home page. It is a little pricy but it is safe and that is what sold me on it. My guns are worth a few bucks more.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks budd ...

Shoot well and often!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I have no problen using gun scrubber, but for $8 a can,,,its hard not to look for a alternative that might do the same thing.  
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top