Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2004 7:41:25 PM EDT
I picked up some of those real long pipe cleaner things to clean my gas tube. I assume I should soak the things in solvent before running them down the tube? Also, since you push the cleaner into the tube, wouldn't you, in effect, be pushing carbon build-up further into the tube, perhaps into one end to the point of it being clogged? I'd rather avoid as many problems as possible. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't worry about cleaning your gas tube.  Shooting it does a good enough job.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#2]
You do not need to run the pipe cleaners into the tube.It could create the problems you mention.
The gas tube is self cleaning,leave it be.
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes foks baffle me.

Not so much that newbies, and folks starting to take maint. seriously ask about cleaning the gas tube, mind you, but more to the fact that somewhere, somebodys uncles buddy knew a guy that works for Seal Team 19 and heard that ramming a poofy cotton covered length of wire into the gas tube will clean it and enhance reliability.

If 38,000psi will NOT blow a gas tube clear of obstructions, I would venture a guess that the Pipe cleaner ain't gonna help.

Yet the urban legend continues.

AZ,

Forget the pipe cleaners in the gas tube.
Your logic is sound.
They do NOT need cleaning, and messing with the things invites more problems than cure.
If they needed cleaning, Mother green would have Grunts wearing them out with cleaning, however I have yet to see a TM or -10 or any other reference to the matter coming from the fine folks in the Ordinance Corps.

I have seen but 1 clogged gas tube in my lifetime(Ok make that 2 but the first one was clogged by a busted wooden handled Q-tip) and it was caused by some seriously CRAP ammo, and some ghastly maintenence practices.

Best of luck!
S-28

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:53:58 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, and s-28s comments aside (I agree btw with NOT stickin pipe-cleaners down your gas tube) there are times when it don't hurt to clean it IF, for instance.....

I use Sweets 7.62 bore cleaner, it serious stuff and when brushing the bore it can get small amounts into the gas tube hole. As I use the SuperTech 2000, non-methanol type carb-cleaner as my rinse to rid the bore of the Sweets, I always shoot a bit through the gas tube from the chamber end using the little red tube supplied w/ the cleaner to evacuate any that may have found it's way in there.

It don't hurt nuthin but makes certain no Sweets leaks out later if I'm storing my weapon, which might damage the bore. It also suffices for cleaning WITHOUT shoving stuff that may get stuck and lead to bigger problems. YMMV

Mike
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Mr. Wilson,

Not a bad idea to run some spritz through the tube after the sweets!

Have yet to have any bore damage, or evidence of sweets leeching into the bore from the gas tap so far, and I run the bore scope every 6 months.

But still... It can't hurt.
Agreed.

Keep safe!
S-28
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the tips, guys. I bought the cleaners on a whim, thining that they might come in handy. However, after some though, I decided it would be best to ask before I buy myself another gas tube due to a bad idea. I suppose the pipe cleaners will come in handy elsewhere around the house. Probably good for cleaning out the RO systems faucet! LOL.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it ok to spray Gun Scrubber or Brake Cleaner into the gas tube from the breech end and let it drain into the gas block/bore?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Metro,

Sure.
As long as you punch the bore afterwards.

Little point in doing so, but it isn't gonna hurt anything.

S-28
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Don't worry about cleaning your gas tube.  Shooting it does a good enough job.

Yep  +1
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top