Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/30/2004 1:03:55 PM EDT
I will be picking up my new Rock River Arms CAR15 (with colapsable stock, A2 flash hidder and Bayonet lug) this Saturday. I'm comfotable with break down and cleaning of an AR but I wanted to see if anyone has advice for breaking in a new riffle?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Chrome lined or not?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#2]
No. Wilson chrome Molly.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Just shoot it.  Clean normally when finished.  Nothing special.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are freakish about target grade accuracy... then do some searching on here and the net about barrel breaking and cleaning.  Otherwise, no break-in is required.  Shoot, then clean it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:25:07 PM EDT
[#5]
If it's Chromed, just run 200 rounds through the thing starting with a naked bore.

Chrome-Moly however needs some love for reduced fouling and best accuracy.

10 rounds. Clean to absolute naked and bare steel after each shot.

15 rounds. clean to naked and bare steel after every 3 shots.

100 rounds, cleaning to naked steel after every 20.

Done.

This is my variation of the similar and common break in of conventional button rifled barrels, based upon tinkering for the last 2 decades, and under the guidence of some seriously twisted rifle freaks.

The folks at Douglas, Shilen, Pac-Nor, and Wilson all have a variation on the same theme for break in.
All the best barrel makers have a regimen they tout as the best for their barrels.

Holler at Wilson direct, and get their word on the matter direct.
They know the barrel better than anyone.

My own personal method is likely wastefull of time and solvents, but it has worked for me.

The one thing that is completely constant is the first 20 rounds through naked bore.

Start with a barrel that is completely devoid of ANY and all lubes, and debris.

I run Boiling hot water through all new barrels to remove mandrel/ cutting lubes.
It's old school, but folks would pee their pants if they tried it and saw the crap that comes out after a good scrubbing with Hoppes and other solvents.

GP rifle barrels have a point of effort/ return however.
Sometimes, a good scrubbing and a casual break in is more realistic.

You decide the matter.

On a rack grade AR, a simple break in should suffice, if you are not an anal freak like some of us.

May the rifle serve you well for many years to come!!!
S-28
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top