Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 9:15:10 PM EDT
How long can you keep or store cleaning solvents like shooters choice, G96, CLP by Break free, Hoppes no. 9 and sweets before they lose their potency?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:15:48 AM EDT
[#1]
my copper remover went bad this year, it's shooters choice. has to be 6 to eight years old.

I have some tetra oil that went bad soon after i bought it you can tell by the smell of dirty musty socks. I still havent dam pack rat in me.

g96, clp, fp-10, no idea i use the lubes for more than firearms so i always buying more.

ezzox  I have a case of the stuff has to  10+ years old, i cut a few cans open and i can soilds starting to form inside. there small maybe their were always there, hasent hurt the oil any, yet.

hoppes i found some bottles in my dad's supplies from the 70's that still worked.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:22:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I recently opened a bottle of Hoppes #9 that was purchased in 1995 and it is fine.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:31:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I emailed the people at Break Free about it's shelf life.
Here's their reply:

Shelf life depends on the integrity of the container. Our Heat sealed
liquids will last for years. For the Military, they issued a Type II Shelf
Life Requirement where items in stores are checked every three years. If
judged OK they are checked again in another three years. For the Aerosols,
it is more a matter of keeping the gas in the can then a problem with our
CLP. A true shelf life has not been found. After the original containers are
opened then moisture or solvent evaporation can change the viscosity, but
even the oils after evaporation still work well.

Don Yoder, Technical Support

HTH
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#4]
My BF CLP has turned a tan color. It must be 7 or 8 years old. I can't remember what color it was when I first got it but the small sample in my OTIS cleaning kit I just got was clear.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#5]

My BF CLP has turned a tan color. It must be 7 or 8 years old. I can't remember what color it was when I first got it but the small sample in my OTIS cleaning kit I just got was clear.

That is a formula change.

I have some Army Issue CLP made by Huls America in 94 (tan color) and it is still going strong.   I have demoted some of my old gun oils to household use (door hinges, tools, ect...) because I have a new bottle of FP-10 but I am sure the old oils are as good as the day they were made.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Civilian Marksmanship is currently selling 2oz bottles of GI Rifle Bore Cleaner dated 1968 for 25 cents ea. Looks new and works fine.  I am also using WW2 GI bore cleaner and it works well also.  My bottle of Sweet's is about 7 years old and still going.  How long the various products last seem to have a lot to do with exposure to heat,light and oxygen.   Stuff in sealed containers kept in a cool, stable environment can outlast you.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top