Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/22/2004 3:43:38 PM EDT
Hi guys,
 I have been reading up on the cleaning threads(looks like my cleaning techniques need an overhaul, and I need some new gear), and had a few questions...

1).  I have always cleaned from the bore to the muzzle, but I have in the past reversed directions while using both brush and patch.  Are you supposed to only clean in one direction?  If so, do you need to remove the jag or brush from the rod at the completion of each pass after they exit the muzzle? I keep hearing about the potential to ding the crown of the barrel and want to avoid that.  I am reading some conflicting info on this and am a little confused.

2).  You guys have sold me on the one piece coated rods.  The deweys are nice..are there any cheaper alternative coated rods, and can I use them on other caliber rifles?

3).  Do I need any adaptors for the jags and brushes?

4).  Are the bore guides specific to the cleaning rods? In other words, can I mix-and-match these pieces?

Alot of questions, I know, but I am getting ready to clean my first AR since having one issued to me, and want to get away from the uncle sam cleaning routine.  

Any specific gear recommendations greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
IBCGUY
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got my Dewey nylon coated rod (24") today, it's very nice.  The jag comes with it.  I got a brush and it needed an adapter.  

-Tyler

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#2]
 I don't use "one piece" rods.  I use USGI style rods, made of rod sections.  These will pass through the chamber and out the bore if you don't attach the "handle" section.  Purchase additional rod sections for desired length on longer barrels.
 Heck purchase a complete extra rod so you won't have to swap patch attachments with the bore brush.  One rod for patches, the other has the brush.  This doesn't get you away from cleaning by the numbers with Uncle Sam though.

In my understanding, rods with the handle permanently attached require "in & out" usage, either beginning from the chamber or from the muzzle.

I'm planning to try the Hoppe's BoreSnake.

~Craig
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the U.S.G.I. kit, also.

-Tyler
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
boresnake
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top