Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 9:09:02 AM EDT
Since I know we aren't supposed to use amonia based solvents with CHROMELINING... which do most of you guys use as your bore cleaner...

if you just use CLP don't bother to post...

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Since I know we aren't supposed to use amonia based solvents with CHROMELINING...

Says who?

Ammonia based bore solvents are the ONLY way to remove copper fouling. They will not hurt chrome lined barrels especially if you follow the directions.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#2]
really?  I've always heard that it reacts with the chrome and can cause corrosion?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard that ammonia based solvents will harm chrome lined bores as well.From what I understand is there is a copper layer under the chrome that the chrome is attached too...the theory is that if the chrome line is thin or is porous the wmmonia will or can remove the the copper fixing material and the chrome peels.
Whit all that said I have never seen this happen to a chrome bore from using an ammonia based solvent.But I very rarely use ammonia based solvents in my chromed bores as there is not much need.In fact I only use the ammonia based copper solvents when accuracy has dropped enough for me to notice from copper fouling...or if I can see great amounts of copper in the bore.And about the only rifle I really have a copper fouling issue with is my 7mm magnum.
AR15 might get decoppered once a year.Maybe.
For normal everyday cleaning if I need a solvent I use good old Hoppe's #9.Its very mild and safe.Otherwise I just clean with FP-10.
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
AR15 might get decoppered once a year.

For normal everyday cleaning if I need a solvent I use good old Hoppe's #9. Its very mild and safe. Otherwise I just clean with FP-10.
Raymond

Or CLP.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Ed's Red!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:38:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Shooters choice, and Kroil.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:26:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Ammonia will eat chrome, though not as quickly as it will work on nickel or copper.  

OTOH, you're not talking about leaving concentrated ammonia in the bore for months at a time.  Time and concentration are the important variables usually left out in discussions about cleaning plated surfaces with ammonia containing cleaners.

Hoppes #9 has so little ammonia that I doubt you can measurably hurt chrome plate over a lifetime of use.  I think nothing of leaving #9 overnight in target gun bores and have never had a problem.

If you like to use the stronger cleaners:  Barnes, Sweet's, Shooter's Choice, Hoppes Benchrest, etc. just be sure to follow directions concerning the amount of time recommended for exposure.

Sam
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Every 1,000 rounds run the Sweets.

If you are paranoid about the Ammonia, run some JB bore cleaner at the same interval and wear out an elbow.

At 5,000 rounds, start shopping for a new tube.
Swap tubes at 7-12,000 rounds.

These are my peramiters. NOT yours.
I find that Copper fouling, and general wear and tear, have more influence than solvents on "Life expectancy" of a barrel.

Ain't modern times great?
S-28

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top