Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2004 9:17:13 AM EDT
I am in the process of converting my formerly preban. I would like to know the best way to tighten and smooth my trigger. Any suggestions. I was planning to take the lower apart and polish everything with a dremal. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm no gunsmith, but I would be very hesitant to use a dremel on the fire control parts of your rifle.  Most trigger and sear surfaces are polished by hand using a hard arkansas or similar stone.  I'm sure some of the more experienced folks will chime in with some ideas.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#3]
A Dremel can remove an awful lot of metal very fast.  I used Jewelers Rouge by hand, put a mirror polish on the mating surfaces.  Took a while but definately slicked up the feel of the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am in the process of converting my formerly preban. I would like to know the best way to tighten and smooth my trigger. Any suggestions. I was planning to take the lower apart and polish everything with a dremal. any help would be greatly appreciated.

The best way? Buy an aftermarket and be done with it.

As far as stoning a factory trigger, do NOT do it. The surface hardness on stock AR triggers is very shallow. Stoning will remove the hardness and you will end up with an unsafe trigger. There are safety and legal implications, if you know what I mean. At the most, all you can do is polish the surfaces but be careful removing of any metal will get you in trouble.

I still recommend you buy a replacement such as a Rock River. Once you feel it, there is no going back. Most cannot believe you can set one up like that and with a factory trigger you can't.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:42:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to all for the help. This website is an excellent resource.
ZSD
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The best way? Buy an aftermarket and be done with it.

As far as stoning a factory trigger, do NOT do it. The surface hardness on stock AR triggers is very shallow. Stoning will remove the hardness and you will end up with an unsafe trigger. There are safety and legal implications, if you know what I mean. At the most, all you can do is polish the surfaces but be careful removing of any metal will get you in trouble.

I still recommend you buy a replacement such as a Rock River. Once you feel it, there is no going back. Most cannot believe you can set one up like that and with a factory trigger you can't.

Very SOLID advise.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top