Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/17/2004 7:36:58 PM EDT
I just bought a Mosin is fantastic shape! The rifeling looks good and I can't see any pits but it is dirty. The wood and bluing is almost mint. I was cleaning the barrel tonight and patches just kept comming out black. I was using Mpro7 and after it started to get a little better I switched to Butches Bore shine and patch after patch just kept comming out dirty but slowly getting better. I was also using a bronz and nylon brush and a jag.

I ran out of time so I plugged the barrel and filled it with Hoppes#9 to let it soak. I plan to leave it for the next 3 days as I'll be working a lot. Will this lift all that crud out of the barrel? Is this safe? What else can I do to get this barrel 100% clean? Should I try Sweets 7.62?  Before I filled it I checked the rifeling as it was a little cleaner and it still looked pit free and the rifeling was sharp. It did look like it had a bunch of crud inbetween the rifel grooves which is where I think all the black crud is comming from.

Can't wait to shoot this bad boy!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:14:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two 91/30's and they are sweet shooters.  The rifle doesn't need to be spotless after cleaning but I find a good combo of hoppes #9 and a bore brush will do good enough.  Depending on the ammo, the barrel will get really dirty.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember that removal of copper fouling was uncommon practice on Military rifles untill "Recently" on account of the cure being as dangerous as the condition for the most part.

You will have "Sandwich fouling" in the bore to deal with.

Alternating layers of Carbon and copper.

Soaking with Hoppe's #9 will not harm anything in there.

If you want all of the crap out in a short time period, try JB bore compound and scrub like a madman. It's sweaty work, but will cut the hardened Carbon and oxidized copper.

S-28
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the JB Bore compound harmfull in any way to the steel? Is it like Sweets where you have to limit dwell time? In another 2 days I'll drain the Hoppes#9 and see how well it cleaned up the bore.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:31:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is the JB Bore compound harmfull in any way to the steel? Is it like Sweets where you have to limit dwell time? In another 2 days I'll drain the Hoppes#9 and see how well it cleaned up the bore.

No, JB is not harmful to the steel. It is far softer than any steel. It is not like Sweets at all, it is a paste that is meant to be used with a patch wrapped around a bore brush and pushed back and forth to loosen up the crud in a bore.

Be careful mixing all the bore cleaners have mentioned. You can get some reactions and steel etching due to different ph levels, etc.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Remington Bore Cleaner.
 Uses mild abrasive action instead of chemical reaction.  (No time limit.)  Use as directed on the bottle.  (Wrap a patch around a bore brush, coat the patch with Remington Bore Cleaner, pass through the chamber and up the entire length of the bore.  Repeat as necessary.)

I've cleaned up a heavily fouled "Rifle No.4 Mk2" (.303British) rifle this way, after Sweet's 7.62 wasn't cutting the fouling "sandwich".  Took less than 10 passes, and improvements were noticed on the 3rd pass.  A pleasant surprise after trying everything else in my cleaning kit.  

~Craig
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:56:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Update

I let the barrel soak with Hoppes for 4 days. That soften and lots came out. I then scrubed with Mpro7 several more times and the barrel was getting better. I bought some Sweete and JB compound. Before I tried them I let the barrel soar for 5 hours with Butches Bore Shine. The helped a lot as well. I then tried Mil-Foam bore cleaner  and let that sit for 30 minutes. Bu this time the bore was getting shiney and bright! I finished it off with 2 10 minute Sweets treetments and then 1 JB treetment. I swabbed the berrel with alcohol between product use to be safe.  All this must have included 300 or so passes with a bronze/nylon brush also.

That barrel now seem to be clean as patches come out white/light gray. The tops of the rifle grooves look bright and clean but inbetween them the steel looks like it has tiny pin pricks in the metal. I thought this was fowling(and it might be) but I also think it might pitting. I can;t seem to remove this. Can this hurt accuracy?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#7]
If it is pitting, you cannot remove that. What it will do is probably make the bore foul pretty easily. The best thing to do now is just shoot it and see how it does.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top