Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/4/2004 8:55:21 PM EDT
I removed the handguards on my AR-15 and found that there is a cylindrical piece of metal which surrounds the barrel. It is about 1.5 inches in diameter.  It doesn't appear on this site's parts list for the AR-15. What is this part and does it need to be there? If it doesn't need to be there? How do I remove it? I thing it makes the rifle unnecessarily heavy. Can any one explain this?

Motorsoft
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#1]
does it run the length of the barrel under the handguard? sounds like a free floating system, used for competitive shooting

ETA: look here
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. it runs the length of the barrel under the handguards. What does it do? Do I need it? How do I remove it?

Motorsoft
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#3]
UNless your shooting CMP matches our the rifle under sling tension in the prone pos, you dont need it. It can make a solid mounting point for a bi-pod.

All depends on what you want to use the rifle for.

you have to remove the FSB and fs or muzzel brake. then unscrew it. you may need to add some parts. Others will know more.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top