Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2004 10:37:58 PM EDT
When do I need to replace the Gas rings, key, extactor spring, etc?  

Here is the kit for my rifle.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:06:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont know if there is a set round count to replace parts.I think its done by inspection and parts wear/condition.
If they look excessively worn I generally just replace them.
Rings,cam pin,firing pin retaining pin,firing pin and bolt lugs is the main parts I eye ball.Well I do check the bolt for cracks as well.
The ejector and extractor get eye balled and felt every time as well.
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:40:59 AM EDT
[#2]
shoot it till it dies???

However if you use your rifle for home defense, make sure it is up to snuff at all times....just examine parts for excessive wear.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:28:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Isn't the test for the gas rings to put the bolt in the carrier and then hold the carrier with the bolt facing down?  If the bolt stays put, you're OK but if it falls out by it's own weight, it's time to replace the rings?  Or is it the reverse --  you hold onto the bolt and check to make sure the carrier stays put, something like that?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Jmart, hold the bolt.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Stickman,

Thanx.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top