Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2004 7:47:58 PM EDT
I use several lubes/oils I like as I'm trying to find the perfect lube. I like to use a combo of oil and grease like Tw25B and FP-10. The 2 come in contact with each other and there is really no way to prevent them from mixing on the gun as they will run together. Does anyone know if this can cause a problem like a chemical reaction causing corrision and such?

So far I use a combo of:

Tetra grease/Breakfree CLP

Tetra grease/FP-10

TW25B grease/FP-10

TW25B grease/Breakfree CLP

Some times a little Hoppes oil mixed in with the greases

Are these compatible and safe? So far I have not noticed any bad reaction or problem. Are there any lubes that should never be mixed or used on the same gun at the same time? Thank for any help/info on this!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Mixing lubes is usually not a big deal.But it could lead to gumming or seperation.Especially with greases.I would pick a brand and stick with it personally.
From what Ive been able to find and see Break Free and FP-10 are safe to use with other lubes for the most part.Especially FP-10 since it does not contain a solvent.
Here is what I know for sure first hand.
FP-10 is compatible with Break Free clp,TW-25B,MC-2500 and MPC's PL-10.
Break Free CLP has a solvent so I would not use it with TW-25B or MC-2500.I have not seen any issues with using the Mil-comm with Break Free but the folks at Mil-comm warn against it due to the possibility of gumming,seperation etc. from the solvent in the Break Free.
I have very limited experience with Tetra so I cant comment there.
Post script
Do not mix Break Free with LSA.I found that the two will form a terrible gummy mess.Do not mix solvents either.Just thought I would throw that in there too.
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#3]
would make sense g-96 is a plastizer based oil.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I mix lubes too.  Equal parts of saliva, KY, and Astroglide is the bomb!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#5]
These can be mixed together in any ratio without harm except to nickle when #9 is part of the mix:

TETRA Grease
TETRA OIL
Hoppes #9
BF CLP

I am just now starting to scope out FP-10 with the above.......so far, no problems with SS, Chrome Moly, 75 & 78 Aluminium, and Pig Iron.

Dave S
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I know that TETRA grease seems to be the grease of choice here, but does anybody know anything about Wilson's Ultima-Lube grease?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Dave do you mean the Hoppes oil? I don't think it harms nickel. I know Hoppes #9 solvent will harm nickel but then you don't mix the solvent with the oil to lube.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dave do you mean the Hoppes oil? I don't think it harms nickel. I know Hoppes #9 solvent will harm nickel but then you don't mix the solvent with the oil to lube.

He is probably comparing the #9 to the lubes to remove the concern of trace amounts of the #9 in the bore from cleaning and then placing the oil on top of it.
I did the same thing just to rule out a gumming issue.
Raymond
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:22:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yes, the solvent.  I still use it down my SS bores but no longer in my chrome lined.  I spoke with one of the Hoppes solvent tech/eng and he said it is safe for chrome lined.........but I just decided to quit using it.  I use FP10 or  clarified BF CLP. I let the BF CLP settle out in a tall glass jar and siphon off the top to fill another clear solvent bottle.  I use this mostly on the bolt carrier group[along with Tetra Grease on the carrier rails and cam pin for both 15s and 10s] and exterior surface.  I do not like the syruppiness of FP10 on the outside surfaces.

Dave S
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I use Militec-1 Grease w/FP10 w/o problems.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Not trying to be a pest, but what is the motivation to mix lubes?  Are you using a single product now and feel that's it's deficient?  Does your gun not function, does it show abnormal wear, has it corroded?  I guess I just don't see any benefit in using anything else other than CLP, unless you are in an especially hostile environment, and there are products designed for those as well.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top