Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2004 3:56:04 PM EDT
Which should I use to clean my AR?   I've heard to use NON chlorinated brake cleaner. That's what I've been using to clean my pistols, Prestone from Wal Mart.  Only bitch is it leaves little white residue spots here and there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Currently available carb cleaners leave a slimey, oily residue.  Brake cleaner does not.   I use brake cleaner on carburators, and very nasty guns.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Try Shooters Choice PSD "polymer safe degreaser". It is brake cleaner but it does not harm plastice, paint or wood finishes and drys fast! It's the best stuff out there and bran new so it will catch on in due time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Valuecraft brake cleaner, 99 cent lots of pressure behind it too.

I also use thier carb cleaner for killing spiders and starting fluid for wasps.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Brake cleaner (non-chlorinated), CRC greeen works great
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:59:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Where do you get it?  CRC seems familiar.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 7:00:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Which should I use to clean my AR?   I've heard to use NON chlorinated brake cleaner. That's what I've been using to clean my pistols, Prestone from Wal Mart.  Only bitch is it leaves little white residue spots here and there.

I used to get the white residue, but it goes away after a light coat of CLP.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#7]
1,200 psi pressure washer. works for me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
1,200 psi pressure washer. works for me.

Ihaven't had a real reason to try it, but I'm curious what a dry vapor steamer will do for cleaning a gun. Link
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Be carefull with true brake cleaner as it will damage plastic parts and wood. PSD by Shooters choice will not but you get the same effects as BC.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do you get it?  CRC seems familiar.

NAPA
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:10:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Be carefull with true brake cleaner as it will damage plastic parts and wood. PSD by Shooters choice will not but you get the same effects as BC.

I've seen lots of folks on Glocktalk.com use it without any trouble.  However, I wouldn't use it on my Glock frame as their is no need to.

How much is PSD vs brake cleaner?  I can pick up brake cleaner locally for $2, I don't know where I can find PSD without having to pay shipping and order it online.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I tend to stay away from carb cleaners except for cleaning the booster on the 1919A4 (this is actually a drill press, wire brush and scraper job ... hammer and screw driver is fired a lot) as the carb cleaners tend to contain some of the same solvents as paint remover.

Different brands of brake cleaners, contain different solvents.  Thus if you find one that works, would be careful changing.  I always check the label and if possible the MSDS for the exact product.  For anything with plastics or paint, best to stay away from the acetone in addition to the same meth chloride family found in the carb cleaners.

If you can get a brake cleaner with petroleum distillates and alcohols, tend to be a little easier on plastics / paints.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I picked up some off brand brake cleaner from Wal Mart for $1.68.  The label says it leaves no residue, it was next to the Prestone brake cleaner I was previously using.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I picked up some off brand brake cleaner from Wal Mart for $1.68.  The label says it leaves no residue, it was next to the Prestone brake cleaner I was previously using.

FWIW, I use that as well. The white left behind after some brakecleaner is easily cured with CLP.

Don't ask me how I know.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I 've never had a problem with ol' cheap carb cleaner . I don't use it on the nice wood or plastic it  WILL ruin it .  I learned this back in '87 .
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW, I use that as well. The white left behind after some brakecleaner is easily cured with CLP.

Don't ask me how I know.

Danny

The residue doesn't bother me, but if I can find some residue free stuff I'll stick with it.

Minuteman, Primus is the brand.  Is that the stuff you have an does it leave a white residue?  I say residue, but it's more like small white spots of residue.

I rarely use the stuff, just on trigger groups and the striker channel on my Glock from time to time.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't ask me how I know.

Danny

The residue doesn't bother me, but if I can find some residue free stuff I'll stick with it.

Minuteman, Primus is the brand.  Is that the stuff you have an does it leave a white residue?  I say residue, but it's more like small white spots of residue.

I rarely use the stuff, just on trigger groups and the striker channel on my Glock from time to time.  

I'm using Primus now, and Prestone previously... Both non-chlorinated. Both do a good job. Just remember to lube good afterwards and watch that plastic

P.S. Don't get it all over you.

Danny

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Just remember to lube good afterwards and watch that plastic

Danny

Roger that, I never use it on anything but metal.  I found out the hard way about Trijicon night sights.  Trijicon replaced it under warranty though.

Everybody defenitely should wear blue nitrile gloves made for chemicals.  ordered mine from  www.uline.com  These chemicals we use are defenitely hazardous to our health.  I don't walk around with stinky hands all day anymore either
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Just remember to lube good afterwards and watch that plastic

Danny

Roger that, I never use it on anything but metal.  I found out the hard way about Trijicon night sights.  Trijicon replaced it under warranty though.

Everybody defenitely should wear blue nitrile gloves made for chemicals.   These chemicals we use are defenitely hazardous to our health.  I don't walk around with stinky hands all day anymore either

Our livers will thank us later!

Danny
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I like to use starting fluid/ether. Not quite as aggressive, but it doesn't harm plastics/wood/other finishes.

Cheaper that brake/carb cleaner too.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:43:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Everybody defenitely should wear blue nitrile gloves made for chemicals.   These chemicals we use are defenitely hazardous to our health.  I don't walk around with stinky hands all day anymore either

Our livers will thank us later!

Danny

Wish I had known that a lot sooner. Guess it's my fault for not reading the labels. der herr. If anything comes up I'll just say it happened in the .mil and get it added to my VA check.

I guess nobody has any experience with the steamer? Looks like I am going to be the guinnea pig on that one... I just need to dirty a gun enough to warrant trying it. Sounds like to job for my Ruger P89... the gun I care the least about. Anyone care to donate a case of 9mm for the tests.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top