Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/30/2004 7:51:25 PM EDT
In my latest phone conversation with my brother in law he stated that his friends in law enforcement told him these where all good to clean and lude guns with. If you know about have used or just want to sound off do so.

1. Air conditioner oil the automotive type as gun oil?

2. White lutetium grease as gun grease?

3. Denatured rubbing alcohol as gun cleaner?

4. Kerosene as gun cleaner
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Kerosene works well for removing cosmo from milsurp stuff....but you dont need to completely degrease like that every time you clean a gun.

I dont know about white lutetium (i will assume it is a typo)...but white lithium grease is fine for rails or any other place you may want grease to stay put.

Any of these things can and will work in a pinch....but you are better off using the stuff that is MADE for guns.  

I prefer break free CLP for internals, and Remoil spray for externals.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I would just stick with a weapons specific lubricant/protectant such as TW-25B or a good CLP like Firepower FP-10.
www.fp10.com
www.mil-comm.com/
Kerosene like mentioned is good for removing cosmolene or grease etc.
Watch the denatured alcohol on painted guns and stocks finishes.
Isopropyl alcohol will also remove some paints and stock finishes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:58:40 AM EDT
[#3]
M1 Garand, M1A, 1911, 1100, and 870 love pl-10 (lithuim soap base) grease. Have tried it on the ar yet tolerances being what they are on the Ar I like to stick with CLP.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeap the PL-10 is a sweet grease...I like it alot.But Im affraid it would choke an AR15.
CLP is the best for the AR.My Armalite is so tight I doubt it would work with just a thin film of PL-10.Not that I would try it.
Raymond
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top