Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2004 3:06:08 PM EDT
I've got a new rifle on the way, and am attempting to get my cleaning suplies in order. I haven't cleaned a rifle in 20+ years, so I need the works.

**Any specific changes in cleaning a SS bbl over a chrome lined one?

So far I am ready to order:
Dewey Rod and Breach guide (do I *need* the muzzle guard?)
Boresnake for range/ break in.  (Kit with Hoppe's No.9 Solvent, Hoppe's Lubricating Oil and Hoppe's Weatherguard Cloths).
Shooters Choice Copper Remover
CLP
Chamber Brush Package of 3

Was going to order the bore brush at Deweys - do I need the standard .22 brush? That's all I saw.

What am I missing ? anything I can do without?
I'm on a very tight budget.. the wife has been glaring at me for a week Edit : Rifle is a Bushmaster Varmint Special  24" SS barrel
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#1]
.22 cal patches,
yes .22 cal is the size bore brush you need.

some old tooth brushes or a gi brush.

q-tips

no difference in cleaning a  ss or chrom or cm barrel. Just watch the use of Shooters Choice Copper Remover its strong stuff read the lable.

I personally dont belive in break in , but to each his own. czant see it hurting as long as you dont churn butter with the rod.

might want to pick up some naptha (zippo lighter fuild) to remove the hopes and copper remover from the bronze  brushes and patch holders they will both eat at them one more than the other.

you dont need the muzzel bore guide, the ar cleans from the rear.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
.22 cal patches,
yes .22 cal is the size bore brush you need.

some old tooth brushes or a gi brush.

q-tips

no difference in cleaning a  ss or chrom or cm barrel. Just watch the use of Shooters Choice Copper Remover its strong stuff read the lable.

I personally dont belive in break in , but to each his own. czant see it hurting as long as you dont churn butter with the rod.

might want to pick up some naptha (zippo lighter fuild) to remove the hopes and copper remover from the bronze  brushes and patch holders they will both eat at them one more than the other.

you dont need the muzzel bore guide, the ar cleans from the rear.

definitely do get a bore guide.  It makes life easier
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:09:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies guys.

I did my shopping at Deweys and Cheaper than Dirt.

22C 36 36’’ Coated Rod 8/36 male thread w/jag & brush adapter
M-16B Semi-Auto Breech Guide
SMBM adapts 22C 36 to military style brush
Item: No Harm Bronze Brushes - B-22.22 Cal.

.223 Cleaning Chamber Brush Package of 3 Brushes $7.49
Copper Remover, 8 Oz. Squeeze Bottle $6.30
MC #7 Bore Cleaner And Conditioner, 2 Oz.Special Resin Bottle With Applicator Spout $3.89
Patches Bulk 223-Cal 1000 Bag All Cotton 1000 Patches in Bag $9.97
Hoppe's Boresnake Rifle Cleaning Kit - .22 Caliber Centerfire and Rimfire $18.02

$116.88 total with shipping, and I still need some CLP. Probably look for that localy.

I didn't get the Muzzle guard (He's calling it a Guard, not a Guide?) as I'm not really sure if any of the ones he stocks  would fit my bbl.

I'm a smoker, so I always have a bottle of lighter fluid handy. Thanks for mentioning that as I had no clue that the chemicles would damage the brushes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:14:23 AM EDT
[#4]
it will rember bronze has copper in it.

You prety much have all the bases covered.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#5]
can i just get an otis butt stock kit?

is that all i need?

oh more patches and CLP or course

MadMan
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:00:48 AM EDT
[#6]
otis will work. I just prefere a soild one peice coated rod.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:35:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Just get an Otis and be done with it.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top