Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2004 10:33:11 PM EDT
Cracked open the last pint of Break Free I had today to fill up the shop oilers for general lube use just to get rid of it.Shook the devil out of it and poured into the 4oz. pumps.
The oil is a clear light green amber color,no milky PTFE or whatever other additives that used to be in it that clouded up the mix.I was shocked because I was use to seeing the white amber cloudy BF.Checked the bottom of the bottle and no PTFE clumps.
Its been awhile since I had seen any BF as I only use FP-10 and TW-25B on my weapons.
So has BF changed the formula again and removed the PTFE from the clp?
Anyone seen this besides me?
Just curious.
Raymond
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#1]
You are correct.  The formula was changed.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Good I thought maybe it was just me.
Raymond
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Ray,

I ain't sure when it changed, but yes, things have changed.

The new stuff is reported as being a lesser than the old in many regards.

Also the old stuff has some baggage in the health hazzard regard dealing with liver damage when absorbed through heavy and continious exposure....... some guys were literally bathing in it on a constant basis just like the lab rat that found out sacharin was a carcinogen!

Relax, you aren't going blind or insane.
Others have noticed the change as well.

(Thought I lost my mind not so long ago when I saw the same thing!...DOH!)

This might also might explain the current rumors of  "Gumming", oxidization,  and galling amoung the folks I look to as being objective.

Stuff changes with time......
I hate it as well.
Especially when I think I have found a comfortable constant.

Hopefully one of the gang that has specific details and insigt will chime in and explain.
Untill then, well.. the stuff has changed!

S-28
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:55:19 PM EDT
[#4]
S-28,
The first two formula changes wadded my panties up...because as you know the old pre-1994 chlorinated formula .The post 1994 formula was not bad.The 2001 formula gave me chunks of PTFE and smelled like melted plastic dog poop.
After the change in 2001 or so I said the heck with it after using BF for about 12 years,and started looking for other lubes and clp's.
Got this pint of BF last year just because it was on sale and a cheap $9.00 which got me over the minimum order for midway on my hogue grip order.Figured good back up or as use as a general lube.
Man I hope Mil-comm and FP-10 dont start monkeyin around with formulas like BF.Took me two years or so to find and settle in with them.
Maybe I should stock pile my lubes.
Raymond
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't understand how PTFE is a problem in Break Free CLP but not in Tetra, who almost make it their claim to fame. Strange.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#6]
It is not that the PTFE in clp is a problem for me...its that there is no PTFE in this pint bottle of clp.I was wondering if there had been a change in the clp and the PTFE removed or maybe I got a bad jug of clp etc.etc.etc..
Raymond
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#7]
BF does have PTFE, check the back of the bottle.  They've re-formulated it to have a more homogenous mixture.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#8]
The new pint and 4oz. bottle I have say nothing about a formula change.Must be older bottle labels.The clp was purchased in 2003.If there is PTFE in the new bottles of CLP I have its invisible.Nothing seperates out even after days of sitting...just an amber green tinted clear oil.Shaking does nothing but put air bubbles in it.
The oilers I have the CLP in are clear so its easy to see whats there.
I also put some of this newer clp in a test tube and checked it there.Nothing.
Put some of the older clp in a tube and its got the white solids visible in the amber oil,not clear by any means.
Like I said maybe I got a bad batch.
Raymond
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#9]
keep in mind that most lubricants that have ptfe in them contain ptfe without actually being visible (tri-flow being one of them).  It might be a bad batch but most likely it might be reformulated to prevent component coagulation.  Actually seeing a component clump is a sign of bad mixture formulation.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Blank, last 3 bottles of clp and the last 2 cans of clp i got over the last 3 years had no resdue and smelled different.  I noticed that it did not work as well as the milky clp i had before so i stopped using it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Well the confusion can end by just calling or emailing the company.  They should have a tech department (As I did when I first read the post, I had just bought a bulk of BF and was concerned.).
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the information fella's.Guess its just the new formula.
No big deal,I was just curious as it was completely different from what I had been used to seeing in BF since 1989...when I first started using it.
Thought I would ask yall who use the BF these days on what you have seen.Looks like what I have is normal.
Raymond
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:34:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well the confusion can end by just calling or emailing the company.  They should have a tech department (As I did when I first read the post, I had just bought a bulk of BF and was concerned.).

Called BF last week and was transfered to the answering machine of the lady who handles the BF line at AH.Being that my concern was minimal and was basically just curious about what I had found with my BF CLP...I decided not to make another long distance phone call to follow up.
I get first hand information from folks here,so why go any further than that.
Again thanks to all for the information and assistance.
Raymond

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top