Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2004 2:48:28 PM EDT
Howdy, I'm new to this board and need some input
My nephew had a bad day shooting a while back and in 1 day shot the muzzle brake off a friend's FAL and then while he was shooting my AR, the bolt broke.  While this was an unfortunate day for him, resulting in much ribbing. my question is has anyone else had a bolt break and know what caused it?
Bushmaster made good on the replacement, but didn't have an explanation for the breakage.
Anybody out there who can give me a clue?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you be more specific on where the break occurred and what type of break happened?

Pics would be good.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:00:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Did it happen at the cam pin hole?

Just happens sometimes. Guns aren't perfect.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#3]

tagged for followup.....
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:34:25 AM EDT
[#4]
What ammo was he shooting, reloads, factory, mil surp, what?
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#5]
It does happen.  The one a broke was at the cam pin hole.  

CavVet,
That is friggin funny!  Good thing I wasn't drinking anything at the time.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It does happen.  The one a broke was at the cam pin hole.  

CavVet,
That is friggin funny!  Good thing I wasn't drinking anything at the time.  

I had a dpms bolt do the same thing.   They swapped it out for me and no further problems.   It's a good reminder that you should have a spare bolt for each AR in your bag of shooting goodies.  You never know when these parts will be made difficult to obtain.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#8]

It's a good reminder that you should have a spare bolt for each AR in your bag of shooting goodies.  You never know when these parts will be made difficult to obtain.
Yup.  I recall that a few years ago there was a bit of a bolt shortage.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup,it broke right at the cam pin hole
Shooting Federal American Eagle ammo
Sorry no pic, Bushmaster kept the bolt
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#10]
that sucks
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a quick question

when you swap bolts do you have to do anything ( other then the actual act of swapping the bolt)
like check head space ?
and second ( I know I said a quinck question)
can you use bolts from a different gun or manufacture?

Thnak you
Drow
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Bump for the question above, and 1 of my own.  I just noticed a small nick on one of the locking lugs on my AR.  Just a small corner, maybe 1mm or less, on the front corner of a bolt.  Anyone think this is a cause for concern?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:32:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Switch bolts always check headspace. Odds are high its going to be dead nuts good. Do you want to be the one case where its not?

You can use bolts from different manuf,  Armlight = colt = bushmaster = fulton as long as the bolts are for an M16 type rifle and 5.56 (.223) they will work, just check headspace to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:19:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top