BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/27/2004 5:26:21 PM EDT
Damn this stuff is great, kinda expensive though, but worth it. A little bit goes a long way.
Link Posted: 6/27/2004 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked some up and tried it today
seems to be very slick
I can't tell how good it is yet will have to wait till the next outting

Drow
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 1:27:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I use it and IMHO its the best clp on the market.
Its not that expensive...costs me about the same as a bottle of Break Free.16oz. is $14.50.In fact Cheaper than dirt has the Shooters Choice 4oz. bottle for $4.82.Part #23139.
How much have you been paying?
Raymond
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 4:07:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Bushmaster 13.95 for the 16 oz bottle, 5.95 for the 4 oz bottle. Fp-10 is all my AR and M1A gets for regular cleaning with the occasional Butch's bore shine for copper removal and sturbon  deposites of carbon in the bore on the M1A.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
FP-10 is great. You wont regret using it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Last week, I bought my first 4 oz. bottle of FP-10 at a local dealer for $4.99.  I'd hardly call that expensive since BF CLP goes for the same price around here.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#6]
G-96 all the way.and it smells good too.it makes a great after shave.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 1:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]
FP-10 for all my weapons!  Love that cinnamon smell!
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I used FP10 UNTIL I found EEZOX.   Sorry, it's just a better product, IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I love FP 10 also,. But found it to take paint off of one of my painted rifles. It is great on Parked guns but beware on a painted surface. WarDawg
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#10]
FP-10 is great stuff!  

If you have never used it, go to their site and email them for a free sample, just tell them you are a member of AR15.com and heard about it here...

www.fp10.com/

you'll be hooked too!

---
Joe
Link Posted: 6/30/2004 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Been using it for a few years now. I have free samples of Militec-1, EEZOX, and Slip 2000 that I haven't gotten around to testing.

I haven't found a need to switch from FP-10 but may try some of the others eventually.
Link Posted: 7/4/2004 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Love-It
Link Posted: 7/4/2004 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I just picked up a bottle of the Shooter Choice marked stuff to try out.... its the exact same as regular FP-10. So far... I like it, but I havn't used it enough to say for sure one way or the other.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 8:07:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I use it. It's good stuff.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I love FP 10 also,. But found it to take paint off of one of my painted rifles. It is great on Parked guns but beware on a painted surface. WarDawg

I thought it was safe on gun finishes? Are you sure it was the FP-10 that hurt your gun? If this it true I won't use it, there are to many other gun oil out there that that won't hury the gun's finish.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I was concerned about that too so I tested it on several gun finishes,like alumahyde,ptfe coatings,powder coat,true oil,lindseed,tung etc..Also checked it out on as many polymers as I could get my hands on.Even went as far as to see what it would do on styrofoam which is easily melted/disolved as you know.Nothing,no issues even after a few months.Even asked the manufacturer if there are any compounds or coatings that should be kept away from the FP-10 and they said no.They even went as far as to guarantee me that there is no danger.
Ive been using FP-10 on my cheap painted CAI Cetme's and G3 for well over a year and have not seen any paint damage,flaking or discoloring.
I have also used it on some Teflon and other polymer coated guns,a kimber TLE and and a 92fs as well as some alumahyde painted guns.No issues at all with those finishes.My brother uses FP-10 on his new FN poymer coated high power and no issues there.
Ive had the FP-10 smeared on my painted G3 stocks from handling while cleaning,and no paint coming off there.
Although it will remove cheaper finishes like krylon and rust oleum which is basically the case with any hydrocarbon oil or even basic 90% rubbing/isopropyl alcohol.
FP-10 is just an purified hydrocarbon oil base and has no solvents.From my experience I dont think this is a issue at all.
Dont know what happened in Wardawgs situation but I would like to hear the details and what type paint he had come off for personal reference.I think I would give George Fennell at MPC a call and see what he says also.
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Holy cow Blankwaffe! You do all the same stuff I do! I have an old wood stock with Tetra, TW25B, Hoppes oil, FP-10, Break Free, Butches oil soaking in. It has been 3 weeks and I will wipe them off and see what has happened to the finish. I'll let you know what happens.

I also put Tetra on some plastic stuff to see if it would hurt them. On some rubber coutch foot pads if I pinched the flap with my Leatherman the rubber would tear when I pulled it. After a week of Tetra the rubber was more flexable and bent and did not tear(I don't know if that is good or bad but the Tetra(oil) did soke it to make it more flexable. On a hard palstic part to a water pump I had 2 identical parts and the un treated part snaped with about the same pressure as the part with Tetra on it after 3 weeks soaking.

I just got done lubing my Sig 229 and it has a few plastic parts in the frame. Should I get the Tetra off it or will it be ok? Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#18]
SkagSig40,
I feel your pain,this stuff will drive you nuts if you think/worry about it.Its good to see Im not the only gun oil geek back yard test dummy out there though.
Ive settled on what I use these days,so I dont do all the lube tests anymore.Almost got wierd for a couple years though.
As for the rubber getting soft,the only thing that would worry me about is orings.Use a buna-n rubber and you wont have to worry about that either.
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I only put Tetra on it to see what it would do and it "soften" it. I think I'll pass on the Tetra as Tw25B is safer although Tetra does feel slicker between the fingers.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeap for a grease I would stick with the TW-25B for sure.
Like I said my all time favorite gun lube is FP-10 with TW-25B taking second place.Two best gun care products on the market IMHO.Then theres the tried and true trusty old Break free taking third.
Those are the only lubes I trust to use.
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#21]
What do you think about oil Hoppes oil? I used to use it and liked it. Seems to be a clean oil and you can use it whipe down wood to protect it. Seems to be friendly stuff.

Can you BreakFree CLP to wipe down and  protect wood stocks?
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What do you think about oil Hoppes oil? I used to use it and liked it. Seems to be a clean oil and you can use it whipe down wood to protect it. Seems to be friendly stuff.

It's not that there's anything wrong with Hoppe's Gun Oil.  It works under normal conditions, but no one here reccomends it because you can buy MUCH better products not much more money.
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Its a decent lube but does not do very well as a protectant,nor does its clean.CLP spanks it butt in all areas.
I dont think I would wipe the stocks down with Break Free,it is solvented and may also darken or soften the wood.
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 10:37:33 PM EDT
[#24]
To protect wood I use a light rub of BLO(boiled linseed oil)as needed.Dont use gun oil on the wood myself although I have used Ballistol a couple times on dried and cracking stocks.Worked o.k. but not as well as BLO.
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#25]
When you say CLP do you mean Break Free? Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Nope I mean CLP,Break Free and especially FP-10 spanks old Hoppe's oil.In fact I like the Ballistol oil a heck of alot better than the Hoppe's oil.But hey,Ballistol is the grand father of clp's.
Im just a CLP man.
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
G-96 all the way.and it smells good too.it makes a great after shave.

Link Posted: 7/9/2004 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#28]
When you use "CLP" it is a generic term refering to all "CLP's" right, or it there an acctuall brand "CLP"clp?
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeap when I said CLP I meant CLP's in general.
CLP I use and prefer above all others...Firepower FP-10 CLP.
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 6:49:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Got ya, thanks! I have just started to use FP-10 and can't yet tell any difference over BreakFree. I'm going to do the rust test soon!
Link Posted: 7/22/2004 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Skagsig40,Wardawg and all who are interested.
I asked the question of "FP-10 and paints" of George Fennell at FP-10 again.
If yall have anything to add or ask here is the link to the thread I have started on the subject.
p077.ezboard.com/ffirepowerfp10forumfrm30.showMessage?topicID=55.topic
HTH
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/24/2004 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#32]
My input on FP-10 is based on its use on custom built IPSC pistols. A number of years ago I was witness to the use of FP-10 on a newly built Stainless Steel pistol, SS slide & frame, which was built very tight. The pistol would not fire more than a few rounds before galling while using a number of different lubricants including grease. On a return trip to the range and after nothing more than a cleaning and lubing with FP-10, which we didn't have the day before, the same gun ran flawlessly without any sign of galling. I have used nothing else on all of my firearms since and it now comes in small aerosol cans which are great.
Link Posted: 7/25/2004 12:00:26 AM EDT
[#33]
FP-10, I love it, and it works well in the cold - better than BF.

Grease - TW25B  ...  Suppressor Grease - PL-10, made by the same people who make FP-10.

I don't use FP-10 as a solvent, I use a dedicated solvent (Butches Bore Shine or Sweets 7.62)

I do use a lot of Hoppe's #9 because I have many gallons of it bought before they switched formulas and lost the tric., primarily for parts washing and such.

I recently tried Ballistol and can't STAND the smell - I'd rather huff BF or dirty socks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2004 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Use FP10 cause it has no white polymer powder in it like other CLP's that just gunk things up.  No clp is worth a shit for cleaning, I use dedicated cleaners for cleaning.  Hoppes for general and Hoppes Benchrest/Butch's for the bbl.
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 4:18:33 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Skagsig40,Wardawg and all who are interested.
I asked the question of "FP-10 and paints" of George Fennell at FP-10 again.
If yall have anything to add or ask here is the link to the thread I have started on the subject.
p077.ezboard.com/ffirepowerfp10forumfrm30.showMessage?topicID=55.topic
HTH
Raymond

Thanks for the link. I will agree with his statement. It could be just to grade of paint used that seems to  weaken when useing FP 10 . FP 10 is a great product.. I continue to use it with confidence. WarDawg
Link Posted: 7/27/2004 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Hey WarDawg,
Just curious,did the paint come off in flakes or did it come off on a cloth when rubbed?
Raymond
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Is FP-10 good for lubing trigger/sear assemblies???

I've heard that WD-40 and BF CLP will gum up after time....

I've also heard that Ronson lighter fluid is used by benchrest
shooter inside their actions....thin oily lubrication.

thanks.....

Link Posted: 7/30/2004 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
FP-10 is great stuff!  

If you have never used it, go to their site and email them for a free sample, just tell them you are a member of AR15.com and heard about it here...

www.fp10.com/

you'll be hooked too!

---
Joe

Received my free sample from them yesterday in the mail.  I'll be trying it out after I'm back from the range tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#39]
My STI Edge loves FP-10.  All my rifles run flawlessly on it.  The only time I use lighter fluid is to flush out my Jewell trigger on the Model 70.  The Jewell is a contained unit and you don't want oil in it.

Edited for spelling.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#40]
I used FP-10 until I found out that Mobil 1 Synthetic does a better job (and it's cheaper). JMO

*hides from flames*
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#41]
i do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:09:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Where is a good place to purchase FP-10 online? My local stores don't have it. Preferably a ARFCOM supporter.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Where is a good place to purchase FP-10 online? My local stores don't have it. Preferably a ARFCOM supporter.

Here ya go.

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/fp-10.asp

Raymond
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#44]
You can also get it Midwayusa.com

4 oz. bottle
New Aerosol FP-10

And if you are SERIOUS about the stuff:

The Big Dog

Gundraw

BTW.  I used it for all my firearms.  I used to use the good 'ol hoppes kit.  Now, I still us #9 for general solvent, Sweet's for copper, and the FP for lube.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks Blankwaffe98 and GunDraw
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FP-10 is great stuff!  

www.fp10.com/

you'll be hooked too!

---
Joe

Received my free sample from them yesterday in the mail.  I'll be trying it out after I'm back from the range tomorrow.  hr

djgolus, what do you think about the FP10??

Ordered a big bottle of it yet  
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Hey Joe!

Sure did.  I ordered the four oz. bottle.  Stuff works great!
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 3:26:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I tried it on a new Vaquero, and it was rusting after a few weeks, will stick with Break Free which  has never let me down.
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 5:43:22 PM EDT
[#49]
can you supply more info? as to why, when, where, how come.?
Link Posted: 8/13/2004 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#50]
Id like to know too.Dont doubt it could happen though as nothing is perfect all the time.Break Free aint either.
Ive been going six months on my weapons that are stored in un unsealed lockers for almost two years now with nothing but a light coat of FP-10...that includes my S&W blued guns,Ruger convertibles,Mausers,MN's,Remingtons etc.etc.etc..Have not seen a spec of rust even here in the humid south,living in a drafty and damp 150 year old house.But I always wipe my weapons down after handling before they are placed in the lockers.I dont like sweaty old rusty finger prints on my blued guns.
Raymond
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top