Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/8/2004 10:11:08 AM EDT
I am considering some Dewey Rods to clean my Bushy m4'gery.  I have been using cheapo aluminum multi piece and FP-10 ( FP-10 is great stuff!)

Do you guys use bore guides and/or Breech guids?  Any opinion on Dewey products?

---
Joe
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Good rods but to protect the barrel use a bore guide.  I got mine from Brownells.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Definitely use a guide and clean from the chamber end.  The coated Dewey rods are great.  I got both items from Sinclair International.  

I made a case to protect the rod.  It is made from white PVC sprinkler pipe cut long enough to cover the entire rod.  It is closed out with PVC pipe caps on the ends.  One is glued permanently in place, the other is not.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys,

I need a little help understanding... on the Dewey web site, they list a "muzzle guard" and "breech guide", with the AR cleaning stuff, "muzzle guide" with other cleaning supplies.

I assume the muzzle guard / guide is used to clean from the muzzle end,  and the breech guide is used to clean from the chamber end.

I plan to always clean from the chamber end, what guide do I need??

---
Joe
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I still don't see why you need a bore guide? I have always just pushed the rod in and out free hand and never have had problems. I use a Dewey rod and it is coated so even if I slip and hit the muzzle it won't hurt the rifeling. The steel in a barrel is much harder then a cleaning rod so how can it do any damage? Educate me on this please.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 2:49:26 AM EDT
[#5]
It's the edge of the rod where the jag or brush is attached. They can hit the edge and cause a nick. Worst rod to use is the issue section steel. Even though barrel steel is harder it can and does happen.  Kind of like how a water knife how it will cut steel bur free. Steel is def harder than water but put pres behind water it cuts steel. Remember seeing those pics of straw through 2x4 in a tornado.

You only need the chamber guide, unless you plan to clean from the muzzle, with an AR there is no need for that.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]
contact georgia precesion, they'll hook you up with everything you'll need. get a one piece dewey rod, brush, slotted tip, chamber brush, and bore guide. The only thing they recommended which i haven't used, is bore paste. These items will cost some $$$$, but it'll keep you from damaging your barrel...
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I ordered the Rod, Breech bore guide, chamber brush & Rod...and mmsig229, you are right, it did set me back a few $$.

Could have bought a bunch of ammo instead but gota take care of the AR hanksJoe
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top