Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 8:29:23 AM EDT
I'm just starting out with my first AR.  I'm clear on bore cleaning procedures, but what about the bolt and carrier area?  Is it necessary to disassemble the bolt and clean it after every outing (200-300 rounds)?  Also, is the cleaning link that Sinclair sells a really useful tool or is it just a nice-to-have gadget?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#1]
i like to shoot my AR.  when i go out 1000 rounds a day is normal.  

i would say you should clean your bolt and carrier every time you shoot.  scrub them down with a bronze brush and remove all the carbon deposits on the back of the bolt.  you can make a little scraper out of a piece of coat hanger.  it should look like a golf pitching wedge.  also inspect the rings and generally look over the bolt to be sure it's in good repair.  a clean AR is a happy AR.  if your gun begins to jam it's due to several factors.  bad ammo, bad magazines, weak springs or the most common is a dirty gun.  so it's best to keep it clean and oily.  not dripping with oil but defiantly have a liberal amount on all internal surfaces.  an instructor told me once to spray the bolt down with break free and whip it with your hand to sling the excess off.

the Sinclair link is a nice little tool.  if you decide to buy one make sure you first get a Dewey bore guide.

have fun.  be safe

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
...the Sinclair link is a nice little tool.  if you decide to buy one make sure you first get a Dewey bore guide.

have fun.  be safe

View Quote

Thanks for the info -- much appreciated.  Prior to posting my questions, I just got through ordering some mags and cleaning stuff from GeorgiaPrecision.  I ordered their cleaning rod guide with solvent port.  Do you know if that's compatible witht he Sinclair link?  Looking at the pictures, I'm thinking it would be.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#3]
yes.  they don't get in each others way.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a cleaning link and have never used it. I find it much easier to separte the upper and lower when I clean. I put the upper in my cleaning cradle upside down and remove the bolt/carrier/charging handle, insert the bore guide, and clean away.

Shabo
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#5]
why clean inverted?
i have always cleaned upright to prevent solvent and gunk from plugging the gas port and tube.
inquiring minds want to know!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top