Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2003 6:13:45 AM EDT
How can I clean the gas tube without remove it?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:28:07 AM EDT
[#1]
While the intense gas pressure cleans it evertime ya squeeze the trigger, I use the little red tube that come with the SuperTech 2000 carb cleaner, Walmarts sell (which BTW, contains no methanol or other bad stuff) to clean mine. I use Sweets 7.62 and want to be certain none has gotten up in there during the bore cleaning, so I spray from the bolt end to rinse it. This should work for ya.

Mike  
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:44:30 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks wilson!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Do not mix chlorinated brake cleaner and sweets.

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]
i dont know where to get them in the civilian world, but we have gas tube length pipe cleaners, they work GREAT.   dip the first one in some rifle bore cleaner, run it in and out, than run a couple clean ones thru till it comes out dry.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:12:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Gas tube length pipe cleaners can do more harm than good if pieces get left in the pipe.

Check your manual, civilian or military, you WON'T find a gas tube pipe cleaner.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 7:12:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gas tube length pipe cleaners can do more harm than good if pieces get left in the pipe.

Check your manual, civilian or military, you WON'T find a gas tube pipe cleaner.
View Quote

Ditto on that. Not only that, but with the amount of pressure that goes through the tube on each shot, it is self cleaning. Yes it may have some carbon in it, but just as soon as you clean it it returns. You stand a greater chance of mucking it up with a pipe cleaner than if you just leave it alone.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#7]
As long as you're using non-corrosive powder and priming (which we all should be) I don't see a compelling reason to get in there and clean it.  You've gotta go pretty far into takedown to get to cleaning this.  It might be done at the depot level but not at the unit level.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:36:35 AM EDT
[#8]
i hate to burst anyones bubble but i have a box of the damn things sitting in my arms room.  

and btw i dont let the grunts do this to their own rifles, and i check em afterword with compressed air.

as to where they came from i cant tell you, i dont have the nomenclature, or nsn for them. but i most assuredly do have them.

and just for the record, for the most part i use them to get out the crap that guys let run up into the gastube and dry  while their cleaning the rifle.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top