Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/26/2003 2:10:45 PM EDT
I went out today and played with the AR.

After I fininshed I naturally went and started cleaning it. I have never used a boresnake before and wnated to try it this time. I dropped the wieght through for the cooper brush.  I started pulling and it wouldn't come through. I flipped it around and the brush was stuck in the throat of the chamber right before the rifled portion.  I hope I was clear there. I a grabbed the hemostats and couldn't get it to budge.  So the string eneded up braking and I was able to drop a cleaning rod down the other way and out the brush popped. It looks like the brass crimp that holds the string to the brush lookss like it wasn't crimped properly i.e. larger diameter that .223.

So my question is did I just ruin the chamber and now require a gunsmith to look at it? I can't see anything.

Man I'm ticked off.

Thanks in advance.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I doubt you damaged anything since the offending piece was brass!

Actually, if anything was damaged, I suspect it was from the steel (presumably) cleaning rod.  Still, it wasn’t like you could just leave the stuck piece in your chamber – you did what you had to do!

Suggest you clean the chamber and then look straight into it from the rear with a flashlight to see if you see any damage.  

If you don’t see any problems, then take the rifle out and shoot a few rounds.  If it cycles OK then you shouldn’t have a problem.  You might also want to look at the ejected brass for any strange marks.

You are definitely not the first person to ever get something stuck in an AR chamber!!  [:D]

I’d be very surprised if any damage has occurred.

Edited to add that if you have some serious accuracy problems, that could be from a damaged throat.  I still don’t think it’s likely, though.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top