Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2003 1:53:08 PM EDT
I was taking out the screws in the back of my A2 buttstock and they have yellow locktite on them. I never saw yellow locktite before I have only seen the red and blue locktite until now. My question is do I have to replace the locktite with the same yellow locktite before I put the screws back in, and whats the strength difference between the yellow red and blue?

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Never head of yellow Locktite (though it does also come in purple and green!).

Maybe it’s not a Locktite product?

I have a vague recollection of seeing screws with some sort of yellow sealant applied to them, but I kinda think that was applied to the screw and allowed to dry.  I don’t think it was a glue like locktite.

Personally, I see no need to Locktite those screws anyway.

Sorry I couldn’t help more.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply, I'm not sure if it's locktite or not, but it looks like it would be hard as hell to get off the screws.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:40:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I once saw what appeared to be some kind of yellow lock-tite on the mounting hardware that came with a sight I bought for my compound bow - that's the only time I ever saw anything like that, myself...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:48:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Theres no reason to locktite the stock screw, suspect the yellow is spray-paint which is applied to differentiate them from screws of similar type at the factory where assembly was taking place.

Not an uncommon sight.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:01:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Colt seems to currently be using some kind of yellow thread locker on buttplate screws.  I recently removed the buttstock from a new Colt and encountered mild difficulty in removing the screws due to the yellow threadlocker.  It's not LocTite, but it does appear to be a threadlocking compound of some kind.

--dulcenota
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 6:13:21 AM EDT
[#6]
My stock is a Bushmaster, I guess their both doing it. I wonder why though? It's not paint, it's to built up around the threads of the screws. They were pretty hard to get out.    
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:11:52 PM EDT
[#7]
My suspicion is that the yellow material is being used in a similar fashion as Locktite, except that it’s not a glue but just some sort of thick material that helps prevent the screw from vibrating loose.

I keep thinking I’ve also seen something similar on screws in electronic equipment (around motors and such).
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#8]
So what are we going to call this mystery thread locker until we find out what it is[?]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I E-mailed Bushmaster and now we know.

Here's what they E-mailed me back.>"It is a threadlocker called Nylock which is called out for in the Mil Spec as a requirement for Government rifles. The Nylock can be red or yellow in color".<

I didn't think that when I began this thread I would be posting the answer to my own question.

Thanks for the replies.  
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top