Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2003 7:57:03 PM EDT
How can you tell if you have the gaps in the gas rings 120 degrees apart or not.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 11:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If your asking about making sure your gas rings are staggared, don't worry about it.  I know the manual tells you to stagger, but staggering is an old DI tale.  When you put your bolt in the bolt carrier, the gas rings compress and form a seal.  All you need to do to make sure your gas rings are in good working condition is to put your bolt in the carrier and see if it falls out.  If the bolt stays inside the carrier on it's own, your rings are fine.    
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:24:47 AM EDT
[#2]
To clarify,

Strip the bolt carrier assembly then reinsert the bolt into the carrier. Turn the carrier so the bolt face is down (you can turn it clockwise or counterclockwise [lol]) to pass the bolt must not fall out.

The staggering rings idea is left over knowledge from ICEs, doesn't apply to ARs. One more incorrect thing in the TM.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
To clarify,

Strip the bolt carrier assembly then reinsert the bolt into the carrier. Turn the carrier so the bolt face is down (you can turn it clockwise or counterclockwise [lol]) to pass the bolt must not fall out.

The staggering rings idea is left over knowledge from ICEs, doesn't apply to ARs. One more incorrect thing in the TM.
View Quote

I'm not the one who had a problem with clock wise and counter clock wise so let it go.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, so much for being able to laugh at myself. You have a good day G_A, sounds like you'll need it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
having followed that other thread tweak, your remark and the little picture got me snickering..............
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 3:22:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Little picture? This guy? -->[lol]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#7]
ya.....

I don't know what they call those things.....

emoticons??   I think????

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:53:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I just space the top and bottom rings to either side of the center where they are all about equal distance apart.   Kind of like putting rings on a piston for a motor and making sure all the gaps aren't lined up.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top