Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2003 9:10:37 AM EDT
I saw this link on the Drudge report.  Thought some of you might be interested.  What do you think?

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/investigators/wabc_investigators_111803gunlube.html

Phil
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#1]
In a recent issue in Shotgun News there was an article on the history of the AK. As a post script there was talk about this very thing. But the author stated that US forces, on the way to Baghdad found many sand jammed AK's discarded, thrown to the side. His contention was the AK is not the wonder desert weapon that it has the reputation for being. It was as prone to jamming as the M16. I wish I still had it I would scan it. I recently cleaned up making room to bring things in for the winter and threw out all my past copies. Does anyone have any light to shed on this. Real facts not opinons. Sure the M-16/AR-15 has sand collecton problems in the desert with the talc like sand but any lube in enough volume to be wet on the surface will clot up and make a mess with that sand. I always wondered if CLP's lubricate is Teflon. Why not use dry Teflon spray on weapons? Especially the bolt! Maybe someone with recent in country experience would have some light to shed on this topic.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:10:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The battle field pick AK folder I carried for part of the war, stopped working after around 3 rounds during an unblocked ambush outside Dywanyia.  It happened on the 26th of Mar, 25th being the Shamal (sand storm) of the century.  Allot of weapons had problems after that storm, AKs included.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top