Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/22/2003 3:35:31 PM EDT
Does anyone here use a thick grease (i.e. Militec-1 grease) for lubing your bolt and bolt carrier? Anything else? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The only grease I will even consider using on weapons is weapons specific grease like TW-25B, which is so thin its basically a lube.
Militec-1 has said not to use the Militec grease on weapons,and that they have no documentation for that specific use.
George Fennell at FP-10 also says his PL-10 or any grease for that matter should not be used on weapons for lubrication.
I would stick with a weapons specified lubricant like FP-10 or TW-25B,which are my favorites.IMHO
Raymond
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Uh oh, I use Militec-1 grease on my Marlin Model 60 .22lr. I don't use it on the whole bolt, just a little on the bottom, is this a bad idea? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Does anyone here use a thick grease (i.e. Militec-1 grease) for lubing your bolt and bolt carrier? Anything else? Thanks.
View Quote

My AR-10s get treated like a M-14.......they get grease at the critical points.....Tetra Grease.

Dave S

BTW, thanx for all the good info, Dave G.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I use Militec on my Model 70 Winchester.

See, the striker decided to rust out badly (the little blighter is also highly magnetized-don't have a clue why), so I stripped it down, wire-brushed it and polished it up with Flitz. I coated it with Muscle Products FP-10 - and it promptly rusted out again.

Mind you, this rifle is stored near several others and they have nary a freckle. Strange, that...

Anyway, stripped the bolt down, again, and wirebrushed it again, followed by another polishing to smooth out the now-considerable pits, but before reassembly I put a bit of my Sample of Militec on it.

Almost a year later, it is still nice and shiny.

I also use it (barest coating - not like Cosmolining it for storage) on the barrel and action, since this IS SW Oregon, and it's got a habit of raining around here from time to time.

Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:29:49 AM EDT
[#5]
The only grease I use on my AR's is a Moly-Slide Lubricant on the fire control group, CLP for the rest of the gun.Moly-Slide Lubricant stays were you put it. It wont run even under heat.I use Tetra white grease for metal to metal contact on my auto pistols.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:46:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Why does it seem that very few people use grease on the bolt/carrier for their AR, but they use grease a lot on their pistols? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Grease is the word, is the word that you heard
It's got groove, it's got meaning...

I won't let grease get near my AR. I have had more problems with grease on my ar....

Grease is for my bigger rifles....M1A, Garand, etc..

Mainly on moving parts, such as bolt rollers, op rod guides...

I just don't see any place on an AR that grease would be suitable. All that crud blown back into the action will surely turn that grease into cement.

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Why does it seem that very few people use grease on the bolt/carrier for their AR, but they use grease a lot on their pistols? Thanks.
View Quote

Cuz some gun's manuals call for grease, and the M16/AR15 system doesn't.

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Ahhh, I see, duh! [;)]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Hickboy,

Avoid the heavy greases on the AR.

Mil-Com TW25B and Tetra are both very thin and are considered grese only because they are of a consistency not that of a liquid.More like cold cream.

Application of either tetra or TW25B is very thin and will cause no issues like with the heavier greases.

TW25B is in the Military system and approved for use with the M-16A2 and many other weapons systems and is being used with excellent results.

Good old Breakfree CLP is still the standard however,and still doing well for the most part.
Just not optimum in some environments and situations.

Best of luck!
S-28

Link Posted: 11/4/2003 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I use Tetra on my AR. It really smoothed up the action.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 5:04:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I use RIG on my other guns for long term storage.
http://www.silencio.com/htfiles/chemicals.html
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top