Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2003 10:10:25 AM EDT
A little while back I was watching a documentary on reserve company in Israel.   At the end of the film when they were getting ready to go back into civilian life and they were getting all their gear cleaned up.   They had a bin of water that they were cleaning their M16A1 uppers in with a brush.   I was wondering what the hell was going on cause that's not a practice we see here.  
Is that a safe way to clean your upper?  
What damage can be done to your rifle?
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Who know why they do that possibly because it's cheap and their tightwads.

FWIW, a military weapon such as the M16 is designed to withstand the rigors of combat, rain/sleet/snow have no effects whatsoever on their functioning (provided it's not frozen up) and as long as the rifle is cleaned and lubed PROPERLY after such occurances, you have nuthin to worry about.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 11:01:40 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a pretty crude statement dude...
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 12:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Ya really!

Maybe because it's cheap and it works!  For the little amount if time the weapons actually sees the water it won't hurt any more than solvents will.  Dry it off and lube it and there is no problem!
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you sure that the liquid they were using was water?
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#5]
If it was water or water based cleaner it's no problem,and been going on for well,since Washingtons troops got their rifles dirty.

Our own Military has soap and water on the approved list of alternate cleaning agents for the M-16A2,though it is NOT the preferred method.

In addition there is no end to the number of water based cleaners commonly sold and used by Military,L.E.,and civillians.
MPro-7,MC-25,and many others are waterbased.

Water is the primary content in a Ultrasonic tank.

Just gotta make sure the rinse water is as hot as a guy can stand it,and make sure all the water is either evaporated or blown out when done followed by a good coating of lube/preservative.

With all that dust and sand combined with the dry climate in Israel,I can see them using a water/detergent bath or sonic tank as routine before drill turn in.Otherwise the troopies would be forever with the toothbrush and never make it back home from drill!

Keep safe!
S-28
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was in...
We used to get a 20mm ammo can and half fill it with "dry-solvent".
We would brush and soak our M16s.
cleaned up the worst mess you could throw at it.

I would bet the IDF boys are doing the same.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I remember when I was in the Army I would use hot water and dish soap to clean my M-16.  Everyone lookad at me funny, but while the rest of the complany was still cleaning their weapons I was finished and doing other things.  The only catch is to make sure the weapon is COMPLETELY dry afterward.  A little while in the hot Fort Hood, TX. sun would take care of it nicely.  I would think Israel is similar in climate. The downside is that any residue of CLP (which is a good thing) may be washed out.  And yes, soap and water is on the Army's list of approved cleaning methods.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I clean my stainless Redhawk in hot soapy water. Just make sure it is dry and oiled and there won't be a problem.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 2:47:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Who know why they do that possibly because it's cheap and their tightwads.
View Quote

What the Fuck is this?
Are you saying that because 90% ofther soldiers are [b]JEWISH[/b]?

Its NOT because they are trying to save money. Its due to not having a lot of funding for the IDF. Sure the USA helps with money. But its not a regular country with a regular army.

Its a county where they are at war everyday.
Its a country where most of its combat troops are on the level of Urban Spec ops.

It takes a lot of money to run an op like this one.

If any of you would like to help or support the IDF.

Come check out a site that I Mod and do other work for here:
[url]www.USIDFVets.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#10]
We blasted hot water down the barrels of our M16A1s in boot camp at MCRD, San Deigo. It got rid of all kinds of gunk and oil in the chamber area, and in the bore.

If the water's hot enough, it evaportes by itself.  Just make sure to lube the bore when you're done to reduce the risk of rust forming.

JoeLad
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top