Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2003 3:30:35 AM EDT
Where can I get a good one peice coated cleaning rod long enough for my 20" AR and bolt action rifles?

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:33:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Dewey coated rods are fantastic.

Brownells
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:41:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Dewey or Bore Tech.

I get mine from [url]http://www.lockstock.com/[/url] Really great people to deal with.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I also have a Dewey coated rod, it's great.  I'd also recommend a bore guide.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Dewey.  Remember to buy the standard tip adaptor ( and an extra or two ) Dewey uses proprietary jags, brushes and loops...the adaptor lets you use standard commercial jags, brushes and loops.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Assuming you clean your AR from the chamber end and with a bore guide, don’t forget that the rod needs to long enough to clear all of that.

If you get a Dewey, try to get one with a 8X32 female tip.  Some of them have a male tips, which means you’ll have to use an adapter to use regular jags, brushes, etc.  Admittedly, the adapter is no big deal.

The Dewey is definitely a good rod.  The Bore Tech is a bit better, but quite a bit more expensive.

Brownells is an excellent source for the above items if you can get their business discount.  They tend to a bit expensive without it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Hoppe's One-Piece Graphite Cleaning Rods

I love this one.  I bought several extras in case they might get discontinued.  I SWEAR - I have NO CLUE why people never mention this excellent rod.  You people are missing out !!!! Hell, think out-side of the box, and forget bragging-rights "DEWEY, DEWEY, DEWEY..." Look around folks, open your eyes.

[img]http://www.hoppes.com/getimage.asp?table=inv&field=image2&keyname=invky&keyvalue=9005900[/img]

[url]http://www.hoppes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=9005900&catky=9946092&subcatky1=4548821&subcatky2=2000303[/url]

Qoute From Manf:

No longer do professionals and serious sportsmen have to fear inadvertent metal contact that can harm fine rifling and affect accuracy.These new one-piece graphite cleaning rods were created by Hoppe's to eliminate worries.Combining high strength and light weight, these rods are 100% graphite, not coated metal that can chip and peel. The advanced design has a comfortable, ergonomic handle too-the rifle rod even rotates to follow delicate barrel rifling. Length 36 inches.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:40:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe that if you compare the rods side by side.  Your mind will be made.

Dewey

Joe
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 3:19:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the input.

I'm going to check out a couple more sporting goods stores to see if they have these rods in stock.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Bill,

Don't know where you live....................

David's Gun Room on Buford Highway carries Dewey rods.  

Georgia Precision [ARFCOM dealer] has Bore Tech and possibly Dewey.

I rate them as the two best rods a person could purchase for the finest of firearms......
like my sub-MOA AR-10s!  The Dewey sits idle, now, while my various caliber Bore Techs stay busy.  

Like I said, they are the two finest rods out there..........but, there ain't a da-da-damn thing that comes close to a Bore Tech. [:D]

Dave S
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#10]
[b]G35[/b]:

I’ve been looking at those Hoppes rods in the Brownells catalog.

Unfortunately, when I think of graphite, I think of pencil lead – which certainly wouldn’t make a very good cleaning rod!!

I’m wondering how susceptible these are to breakage or having their threads stripped?  Any idea?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[b]G35[/b]:

I’ve been looking at those Hoppes rods in the Brownells catalog.

Unfortunately, when I think of graphite, I think of pencil lead – which certainly wouldn’t make a very good cleaning rod!!

I’m wondering how susceptible these are to breakage or having their threads stripped?  Any idea?
View Quote

The material is actually a graphite COMPOSITE.  It is similiar to a fishing rod.  Like a fishing rod, it will flex without breaking.  I have had tight patches which required severe pushing, and it flexed a lot, but did not harm it in any way.  It is tough and flexible.

Regarding the threads, the rod has a brass insert bonded into the end.  Brushes are threaded into this brass section.

I purchased mine at my local gun store.  I have seen them on Midway.  It seems some customer comments are negative on this rod.  But, I have had no problem with mine.
[url]http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/438020[/url]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:55:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Check out Georgia Precision, they have everything you need and they are an industry partner here. I highly recommend their AR bore guide. I got one and it fits the receiver/chamber like a glove.

Shabo
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:58:47 AM EDT
[#13]
removed... Started new thread
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#14]
[b]G35[/b]:

Seems like a good concept, limited a bit – based on the reviews you cited – by some quality control problems in the implementation.

Thanks for the info.  
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top