Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2003 10:08:04 PM EDT
any thoughts from the peanut gallery ????? ive used break free clp for a while and had no problems with it...although some people say the militec is the better of the two....seems to be some pretty good stuff....just lookin for some other opinions...tanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#1]
The people who tell you Miltec is better are comparing apples to watermelons or at the very least aren't qualifying their praises.

CLP = Cleaner, lubricant, protectant.
Miltec = Lubricant

Miltec is definately a superior lubricant, but offers nothing in the way of a cleaner and very little as a protectant. There was someone on the net who did a test and put metal treated with a number of products, including WD40, CLP and Miltech, in a humidity chamber. Results: WD40=0 protection & heavy rust; Miltec - Rust; CLP - no rust. (Sorry, but I lost the link to the site about a year ago when I looked into using Miltec).

I've used both and work great for what they are designed. There are 2 ways to get the benefit of both.

1. Clean and degrease your rifle, and treat with Miltec as directed. Miltec is supposed to bond with the metal under stress and heat. Once you are satisfied that the treatment has taken affect, use CLP as normal with periodic retreatments of Miltec.

2. Mix 1 part Miltec with 1 part CLP..add a few BB's or shot pellets to the bottle and shake before using. I've used this combination for over a year and works well on every gun I've used it on. (There has been no reaction between the two chemicals).
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 3:36:32 AM EDT
[#2]
A former neighbor, Don, is in the Coast Guard here on the west coast. He does their gun maintenance on board ship. He uses 2, 55 gallon drums of CLP Breakfree. One dirty and one clean. He removes the plastics and soaks the entire rifle in the first drum then does all his cleaning, scrubbing, etc... Blows it dry with compressed air, patches, etc... then soaks in the clean drum. After second soak, wipe down, a few dry patches down bore then reassemble plastics.

When he saw me clean my rifle with a spray can of breakfree he exclaimed, "hey we use that stuff at work, in 55 gallon drums". My comment was damn do you know how expensive this stuff is? Anyways if its good enough for the Coast Guard at sea for cleaning, lubricating, and protecting, I'll stick with Breakfree.

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#3]
BreakFree CLP, hands down.  All it takes is about 2 seconds of browsing to find 5+ threads on lubricants.  Maybe you should read some of them before asking such a vague and basic question.

As for mixing the two, I don't see the point of that.  Part of the reason BF CLP does such a great job is that it bonds/soaks into the metal as well.  If you treat the surface with Militec-1 first, one of two things will happen:

1.  BF CLP will not make it's own bonds with the metal, and thus is not nearly as effective as normal.

2.  BF CLP will break down Militec-1 and clean it away, thus leaving just plain old BF CLP behind doing the lubrication.

It all depends on if BF CLP breaks down Militec-1 or not.  But either way, you're not gaining much, if anything by using Militec-1 with BF CLP.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Use BF clp!

Funny though.  Militec claims the CG uses Militec1.......

I've seen to many info-mercials for auto lubes claiming metal bonding to believe the process truly works as advertised.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 12:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I've seen to many info-mercials for auto lubes claiming metal bonding to believe the process truly works as advertised.
View Quote

Well, believe it or not, metal is porus.  BF CLP can be a pain to get out, it will weep from the pores for days.  This is also the reason you'll run BF CLP patches down the bore until they come out clean, then run another patch down the bore 2 days later and it's black again.  It gets down in there and pulls stuff out.  Best to use 100% alcohol to remove it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Militec-1 sucks IMHO. First off, their product does not have good cleaning or protecting qualities. It is, however, a pretty good lube. Second, they used the deaths of our troops in Iraq to promote their product. They said that the BF CLP wasn't good enough and if the military would have used Militec-1 the dead soldiers would still be alive. Pretty sick if you ask me.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Ahhhh.......I realize metal is porous!

I'm not talking about metal being non-porous I am talking about a product becoming PART of the metal.  There are products that claim this.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Militec is an excellent synthetic lubricant. I even use it in my weed eater and pickup. I've never had a failure of any kind since using it.

One should use a seperate solvent for cleaning your barrel, etc... However I find that little sticks to a Militec treated surface.

It is true that a lack of proper lubrication can cause problems in the M-16/AR-15 and other automatic weapons. The military has known this for years. Very similar to the issues with lack of chrome bore and chambers, and powder compositions with early M-16's that cause many deaths of U.S. servicemen in Vietnam.

The militaries stance on the issue appears to be that soldiers are too dense to properly apply a seperate product, even though seperate products have been shown to be more effective at cleaning and lubricating by the militaries own research.

Beyond that it is a personal decision. I very much doubt anyone here's weapon will ever face the harsh conditions where the difference between one lubricant and another becomes apparent.

Although, it's helpful to remember that due to their solvent content CLP's lubricating ability tends to dry off over time leaving virtually no lubrication. It can also become gummy and attracts alot of dust/dirt.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's a link to a poll I ran a few weeks ago:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=170356[/url]
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:05:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not talking about metal being non-porous I am talking about a product becoming PART of the metal.  There are products that claim this.
View Quote

Unfortunately, that is pure jive.  Any of the products we use on our rifles can be removed with water or solvents, and that's proof that the bonding mechanism is only physical.  Some may have a very high affinity for the surface and stick around for a long time, but no permanent chemical bond is formed.  I'm sick of the outrageous claims by some of these companies.  I'm more impressed by real-life salt water corrosion testing results posted by AR15.com members than corporate mumbo-jumbo about "space age polymers" and "molecular bonding."

A layer of parkerizing becomes "part" of the metal, but baked-on Militec does not.  Lots of good lube products out there, but none are magic.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Unfortunately, that is pure jive.  Any of the products we use on our rifles can be removed with water or solvents, and that's proof that the bonding mechanism is only physical.  Some may have a very high affinity for the surface and stick around for a long time, but no permanent chemical bond is formed.  I'm sick of the outrageous claims by some of these companies.  I'm more impressed by real-life salt water corrosion testing results posted by AR15.com members than corporate mumbo-jumbo about "space age polymers" and "molecular bonding."

A layer of parkerizing becomes "part" of the metal, but baked-on Militec does not.  Lots of good lube products out there, but none are magic.
View Quote

Thank you.......I could'nt agree more!
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I use Hoppes for cleaning the bores of my guns and CLP in a spray for general lubing all over.
I live in Key West 50ft from the sea. No rust on my guns. Just keep them well lubed, no problem. Better to spend some time cleaning out the lube than crying over the rust.
I also use ONESHOT spray cleaner and dry lube. Its great for blasting out powder residue in hard to reach places, it just floats it away.Great for the chambers of my 10/22's, then dry and apply CLP.....
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Whaddabout Firepower FP-10????
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top