Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2003 9:53:08 AM EDT
   does any one use WD 40 to clean up their AR?  it seems to work well on the internals.  why does no one ever mention it on here?  thanks.

Stainless
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#1]
WD is no good for AR's and ammo. Will remove some finishes on AR's and will render ammo usless if it comes in contact with it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#2]
 WD40 is PERFECTLY SAFE for all AR's.  If you have a finish that can be ruined by WD40...it's time for a new finish.
 WD40 is great for flushing crap from the action and for nuetralizing chemicals, chemical compounds and acids introduced or created with various cleaning chemicals ( and even human sweat ) during the cleaning process.

They key to using WD is to fully dry or blast the WD from your action when finished to keep WD from contaminating ammo if your weapon is to be stored loaded.

I have been flushing out guns with WD 40 since about 825 B.C. and have NEVER had an issue in my weapons with WD deactivated ammo because I take a few moments to clean the excess from the weapon.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
WD40 sucks.  It evaporates QUICKLY leaving a residue that collects MORE crud and turns it into a nice sticky substance.  It is at the bottom of the barrel for rust protection.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I just use Gun Scrubber followed by Gun Sheath.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
WD40 sucks.  It evaporates QUICKLY leaving a residue that collects MORE crud and turns it into a nice sticky substance.  It is at the bottom of the barrel for rust protection.
View Quote

What he said.....I won't use the stuff!
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#6]
WD-40 is designed to for water displacement (hence the initials WD), nothing more.  It’s lubrication and protectant qualities are poor.

It can be used on AR’s as an inexpensive and not too smelly flush.  However, it then must be cleaned or blown out and a proper lubricant/protectant used.  Over time, not cleaning it out can leave a varnish type buildup.

Being very thin, it can penetrate and neutralize primers, so it does need to be kept away from loaded cartridges (as does just about any lubricant or solvent).

In other words, it has its uses as long as you understand its limits.

Personally, I think it’s more trouble than it’s worth!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 10:01:13 AM EDT
[#7]
MY use on wd-40 after a while will turn into a varnish and  and caused my guns to mis-fire and somtimes to not fire at all.,,,its good on squeaky door hinges tho,,,,,,,,,,
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:28:28 AM EDT
[#8]
........It's Best left to unseat the rusty implement on a tractor!
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#9]
 It's inexpensive and available...as 199 and I have said if you use it as a flush and/or water chaser it's fine stuff. That is all WD is truly designed for.  It is NOT a lubricant in the term that we would use.

Been using it in the fashion I have described here and above since I have been shooting...which I started doing in 1974...and have NEVER had an issue with it...I keep it by the gallon.

For a LUBE use your favorite gun specific lube...I use Tetra, but there are several great ones out there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#10]
don't use the stuff.  if you feel like you have to; find a noisy door or something.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Living in Washington state WD40 has it's uses after shooting.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#12]
If I remember right WD40 was made to be a electrical conductor for nasa, people kept stealing it from the nasholes so they started selling it and people found other uses for the crap.

I dont like it, dont like the smell of it, dont want it on my skin or my gun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 3:42:13 AM EDT
[#13]
WD40 = WATER DISPLACEMENT COMPOUND #40.
The WD40 webpage has a great history page on WD40.
[url]http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html[/url]
Seperates the facts from the bullshit.

Quoted:
If I remember right WD40 was made to be a electrical conductor for nasa, people kept stealing it from the nasholes so they started selling it and people found other uses for the crap.

I dont like it, dont like the smell of it, dont want it on my skin or my gun.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#14]
WD 40 will destroy the primers on ammo it comes in contact with.

As a lubricant, it sucks. I see no reason to use it on any firearm, unless you need to free up some rusted parts.

JoeLad
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:38:30 AM EDT
[#15]
WD-40 for tools and doors, not for guns.
If you need to flush guns use a CLP spray or something like Oneshot cleaner and dry lube. Look on the www.cheaperthandirt.com web site. They sell it and its not much more than WD-40.
Use the proper stuff for the job....Dont use a wrench as a hammer, get it!!!!!
You spent good money on your guns, dont be cheap with its up keep.. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Reply 1: It sucks, it doens't prevent rust & it ruins ammo

(did anyone mention preventing rust or spraying ammo with it?)

Post: I've been using it for years with no problems to clean guns.

Reply 1: Reply 1: It sucks, it doens't prevent rust & it ruins ammo

Reply 2: It sucks, use CLP

(ugh)

Every time, every board, always the same. Is this Groundhog's Day?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is a review of rust preventing properties of various lubricants on unprotected steel.

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I just use [s]Gun Scrubber[/s] brake cleaner followed by Gun Sheath.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#19]
WD-40, well it fixes anything, as long as you have a hammer, screwdriver, crescent wrench, and black tape. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 12:15:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Reply 1: It sucks, it doens't prevent rust & it ruins ammo

(did anyone mention preventing rust or spraying ammo with it?)

Post: I've been using it for years with no problems to clean guns.

Reply 1: Reply 1: It sucks, it doens't prevent rust & it ruins ammo

Reply 2: It sucks, use CLP

(ugh)

Every time, every board, always the same. Is this Groundhog's Day?
View Quote

hee hee....I agree swingset...but you must forgive them...they didn't understand the question, most people comment on what they read into a question...not what the question actually said...nor did they bother to read my excellent disertion on the subject.  Ahhhh well, a prophet is never welcome in his hometown...or on the cleaning board.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Everything I've read says it's fine as a cleaner (meaning you lube with something else afterwords).

For me...brake parts cleaner (nothing beats that stuff) followed by a quality lube on all metal parts.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes Iv'e never heard of this theory about WD40 turning into a varnish, Iv'e used it for quite a while as a CLEANER.

Such as for the AR bolt assembly where you can't get into all of the little holes, I simply flush it with WD40 and then dry off all the areas I can get to; then I oil it up with proper lubricant.

It seems to be great for flushing out crap and cleaning as long as you wipe it all off afterwards and re-oil.  However what about the cracks that you can't wipe it off, certain people are saying that a varnish will build up in those areas?

The only other thing that WD40 is good for is electrical connections, fuseboxes, auto wiring etc.  It displaces water and cleans, it is not a lubricant.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#23]
RobWis, brakeparts cleaner is basically thinner.  I hope you don't use that on any finished parts, I havent found any gun parts that WD40 couldn't clean, sounds like overkill using thinner.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
WD is no good for AR's and ammo.
View Quote

Or anything else that I am aware of. [devil]

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top