Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2003 4:21:07 PM EDT
I am starting to get a pretty good buildup of carbon on the rear of my bolt. Don't know if it will start to become a problem or not, but i'd still like to clean it off. Does anyone have a trick that works good? Some kind of solvent? I really would rather not resort to scraping. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.slip2000.com/carboncutter.html[/url] Their Carbon Cutter is the shitz from what I hear. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 10:05:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Blue Wonder is also a possibility for removing the carbon – just remember to re-oil everything so it doesn’t rust.

Personally, I use the mouth of a fired .308 (or similar) brass case as a scraper.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 3:15:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Per ArmaLite, the carbon is self-limiting and won't cause any functioning problems, but if you do want to clean it from the rear of the bolt or the cylinder area of the bolt carrier NEVER use any sort of scraper or anything abrasive.

I've used CLP and a worn out 3M scotchbrite pad on the rear of the bolt, a couple of twists and it's good to go... But it's not really necessary...

[url]groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15shootersSite/tipstricks.msnw[/url]

Ignoring Carbon Build-up - per Armalite
There are frequent posts asking about cleaning carbon from the AR. We've decided to post our answer as a separate topic for your reading amusement:

Hold off on removing the carbon. Leave it.
Now that we've got your attention, we'll explain.

Deep inside the AR-10 or AR-15/M-16 bolt carrier is a groove at the end of the chromed cylinder that the gas rings slide in. That groove is GRIND RELIEF. It's a production artifact. It prevents a ledge from being left where the grinding for that cylinder ends.

Carbon can build up in the groove and the rear surface of the carrier. It is harmless. The high pressure/temperature operating gas keeps it from building up too much. About the time it gets too bulky, it gets blown out.

Don't confuse instincts for cleanliness that you learned in the military with common sense. It's easy for an inspector to know when there isn't a speck of dirt. It's harder to know what's important.

Any scraper that'll get to it can damage the ground surface inside the carrier. Bad deal.

Clean out what you can with patches or Q-tips, but white-glove cleaning damages more guns than all the shooting we do.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Really appreciate the good info. I am real hesitant to use anything that is water based, too afraid of rust forming in some of the bolts nooks and crannies.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont worry about that!  You'll be fine and if you spray some clp or equivalent lube over your bolt it will blow out any water and protect ya'!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top