Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2003 5:57:19 PM EDT
Title says it all.  I'm new to the AR relm and I currently use NPro-7 spray cleaner and a Hoppes lube on my pistols. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 10:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Get an OTIS cleaning kit and some Breakfree CLP.  From there you may or may not choose another cleaner/lube combo but clp is good on an AR15
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:43:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The Breakfree CLP works well for cleaning and leaves everthing lubed / protected, however, I tend to get mine very dirty (full auto), thus like the MPro-7 for cleaning in cold weather (no fumes) and a lower cost solvent based cleaner in warm weather (plus Simple Green in the ultrasonic for ONLY the bolt, as Simple Green is not good for aluminum ...).

The cleaning is followed by flushing outside with a solvent (Brake Cleaning or Gun Scrubber) to flush out the dirt (in particular the chamber and action), then Breakfree CLP and 20mm auto cannon lub (dropped from Breakfree's product line) on the wear points.

Also need either a nice one piece rod with a chamber / bore guide or one of the pull through systems from OTIS (no bore guide needed.

I still use the USGI tool brush and the chamber brush (might be a little harsh but does clean well after shooting many hundreds of rounds in an afternoon).
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 7:52:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Well looks like I need to do a quick search for the Otis products.  I do like the Npro-7 also because I can clean in the house and not deal with any fumes at all.  I'm sure I will be able to find a good mix of cleaing and cleaner products.  Can you pick up the USGI issue cleaning kit/supplies at a Gov surplus stores as everybody seems to use something from the kits?  Thanks Guys
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top