Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2003 2:47:42 PM EDT
I was just looking at my Sinclair catalog, and there is a lot of cool stuff in it. However, there are some things that seem unnesessery. They sell an AR-15 Carrier Key Brush, AR-15 Action Brush, and an AR-15 and AR-10 Lug Recess Tool. Do any of you use these things? Are they made for match shooters more than a blasting gun?
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't even know what they are for; though I can hazzard a guess that they are for cleaning hard to reach places.

All I use are bronze, steel and tooth brushes for cleaning.  Sounds like they might just be time saving devices.

Sorry I couldn't help more.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The [b]locking lug recess cleaning tool[/b] is a godsend. Don't know how I got by without it. The guy who invented it should be sainted. Gave 16 of them to friends as X-Mas presents. Those recipients now all agree that I am less of an asshole than they previously believed.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]
If people will buy it....it will be made!  Believe me it is like anything else in the world.  This rifle system has been around for so long I am surprised by nothing!  Usually any cleaning tool you have to ask questions about is'nt required for an AR!  If it makes the job easier great!  But not a must!
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 6:10:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Most of the time, all you really need is a boresnake or rods/brushes/patches, rag, q-tips, and CLP...
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:21:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The AR/M16 will run fine if you just remove the big chunks and relube.

You also can get by and save some money by not wiping after you take a dump.

It's a matter of ease of mind and to some degree respect for the rifle.

The Bolt lug tool is a hell of a time saver for those that insist upon keeping the nasty little space clean and free of gorp.

I use one after the chamber brush so I don't have to Q-tip the area.

It's faster and does a better job.

But then again I start feeling guilty about a rifle that needs a cleaning if I let it go for a day or two.

The action brush?
Go to the grocery store and get a $1.00 veggie brush and have at it.
Matter of fact get 2 and bend one to work in the magazine bodies.

Bolt carrier key brush?
Head to the local machine shop supply store.
Buy a gross of the same brush for 1/2 the price.

It gets to be overkill at some point.
That point depends on your mentality about cleanliness.

I like mine spotless.

Good luck!
S-28

Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Different strokes for different folks!!  [:D]

IMHO, the Sinclair lug recess tool is a legitimate and very handy, albeit somewhat expensive, tool.  It lets you uniformly clean and lubricate an area that is otherwise quite difficult to get at.

The carrier key brush seems like a nice concept but, for me at least, never seems to clean anything out.  Plus it doesn’t take the place of a pipe cleaner anyway, so why bother?

I also don’t care much for action brushes - I generally just use large patches instead.

However, if things get really dirty I may wrap half a paper towel around an action brush and run it through the action a couple of times.  This cleans a lot of the crud out of the action very quickly.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top